Fan absence baffles visitors, vendors

U.S. lacks support at World Basketball Championships

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Tip-Off Celebration wasn't much of a celebration as few people came out to attend the festivities at the Pan American Plaza Thursday.\nTo kick off the 11-day 2002 World Basketball Championships, an opening ceremony was planned. While bands performed and celebrities made appearances, there was a noticeable lack of fan interest and most obvious was that hardly any U.S. fans were found milling around outside the RCA Dome.\nWhile it was only the first day and the U.S. team did not play until later in the evening, many vendors and sponsors who set up booths and various attractions outside the dome were surprised by the sparseness of individuals throughout the day.\n"We expected thousands," said Kim Alexander, who was working a Blue Cross/Blue Shield carbon monoxide-testing booth. "We didn't get nearly that many. Hopefully more will come out over the weekend."\nWhile the basketball games between the sixteen different countries, including the U.S. team, remain the biggest venue for the next week and a half, there are several other events intended to draw fans, both nationally and internationally.\nDuring the 62-game competition, fans can also attend fireworks set to music next Monday night along the White River. There will be concerts in the plaza in front of the RCA Dome, and a Roundball Rally will be held through tomorrow. The rally gives children and adults a chance to play basketball-related games, eat a variety of foods and buy merchandise.\nAlexander said she hopes more will attend over the weekend.\n"It's just really surprising that there weren't as many U.S. fans as there are from other countries," Alexander said.\nTons of Turkey\nWhile the U.S. is scraping by with little fan support, the Turkey team is loaded with fan support. Turkey flags and t-shirts, along with faces painted in support of teams are seen all around Indianapolis.\nEven after losing 78-75 to Puerto Rico in their first game yesterday, Turkey fans remain optimistic. After all, this is the first time Turkey has qualified to participate in the Championships.\n"Our country is very excited." Ismet Mustecaplioglu of Istanbul said. "Much more than here. There are no Americans here. It was a nice game (Thursday). We're a little disappointed, but I'm sure we'll qualify in the next rounds."\nMustecaplioglu made the 11-hour flight to Indianapolis with his four children and wife in tow. The family spent the first day of the Championships watching Turkey play and exploring the city.\nBut Mustecaplioglu said that what he's enjoyed most is seeing all the Turkish people there.\n"It's a good thing," he said. "Otherwise there would be no one here. The place would be empty.\"\nDouble Duty\nLei Yin, a marketing associate for the Lilly Corporation is cheering for two teams in the Championships: China and the U.S.\nBetween games, though, he and a group of men and women sit outside the stadium promoting a Chinese style of meditation. But he still has time to concentrate on the games as well. \n"Oh yes, I'm a China fan, but also an American team fan," Yin said. "I cheer for both teams. I'm anticipating Saturday night's game. I expect it to be a good game." \nBringing various cultures and beliefs to one spot is expected when 16 countries are brought together, and Yin and his group have set up an exhibit outside the RCA Dome to promote their style of meditation.\nBut basketball is ultimately what drew him here.\n"We have friends in the stadium enjoying the game, and we'll be there later," Yin said. "We just want to show people that the joy that comes from watching basketball can also be found through meditation"