World issues do affect your life

There is a war in the Middle East that affects most of our lives in a direct way. And many might not even realize it.\nThe problems in the Middle East have been around since before Christ's time on earth, and it is very optimistic to think that in the next few weeks and months we will find a quick fix.\nBut why should regular Joes in Bloomington be concerned with a bunch of crazy Palestinians and Israelis running around trying to blow one another up?\nFirst, let me warn you, this is going to sound bad, and I am expecting many angry e-mails.\nIn a society overly concerned with the bottom line, one of the major reasons for Joe/Jane Bloomington to be concerned about the problem in the Middle East is the price of gas they put in their car's gas tank. \nThe violence going on the in Middle East now is going to affect most of the world's oil-producing countries. The instability in the region is going to drive up the price of oil on Wall Street. \nAccording to GNI Touch Research, an English-based Web site that monitors oil markets around the world, Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Abdullah said there would be no stability in oil prices as long as Israel continues to attack Palestinian authority leaders and facilities. \nPresident George W. Bush's policy of "let them work it out" will take money out of your pocket in the long run as gas prices increase. Did you really think Republicans were all about putting money back into the pockets of American citizens?\nEnough of politics. My main point is that what happens in far away Africa, Asia, Europe and the Middle East is going to affect the way we all live in Bloomington. It is imperative to understand many of the issues affecting this town.\nThe world has become increasingly interconnected since World War II, and that trend is not going to reverse anytime soon. \nOur society needs to change its mindset and look out past the borders of the United States, because we no longer live on an isolated land mass.\nThe civil war in Colombia (which no one seems to know about) affects coffee prices all over the world. The violence in the Middle East keeps the markets volatile, and thousands of jobs have been lost in the United States from a crash in the economies off the Pacific Rim.\nDon't be one of those people in the dark. Read the World section of the IDS or watch CNN's news broadcast. You'll be surprised at what you learn. (Like why you paid $1.71 for gas last night.) \nAnd will someone please take the guns away from baby Yasser and baby Ariel. (If you know who I am talking about kudos to you, if not you are in serious trouble.)