Women finish in first, men second

Men's team misses first by 12 points, women dominate

The IU men's and women's track and field teams hosted the Indiana Three-Way Sunday at the Robert C. Haugh Track Complex. Air Force, Indiana State and Purdue came to Bloomington and competed.\nThe women's team finished in first place with 233 points, and the men's team finished second with 182 points, 12 points shy of Purdue's mark.\nJunior Rose Richmond recorded a 6.40-meter effort in the long jump (21'00) to win the event and establish a new personal best. Her jump also matched the second-best in school history.\nJunior Rachel Boone won three events, the 100 meters, 200 meters and, with the help of freshman Ara Towns, Richmond and junior Danielle Carruthers, the 4x100-meter relay on the way to the team victory. The relay squad ran a season-best and an NCAA-provisional time of 44.17. \nCarruthers won the 100 meter hurdles in strong fashion, recording an NCAA-provisional time of 13.27. Her time was 1.43 seconds better than the rest of the field.\nSenior Tia Trent also recorded an NCAA-provisional time, running a 52.98 in the 400-meter hurdles. Trent's performance was her second-best ever at IU, falling just 0.66 seconds short of her own school record. She also anchored IU's victorious 4x400-meter relay squad that ran away with a first-place finish in 3:45.16.\nThe women also placed first in the triple jump, the discus throw and the women's 1500 meters behind strong performances by freshman Carolyn Schopf in the triple jump (39'01.75), senior Heather Colyer in the discus (154'04) and freshman Mindy Peterson in the 1500 meters (4:31.44). \nHowever, it was a pair of second-place finishes that stood out as remarkable performances.\nFreshman Emily Tharpe shined in the pole vault, recording an NCAA-provisional effort of 3.80 meters (12'05.50), while junior Irina Kharun continued to be a force in the javelin with an NCAA-provisional effort of 46.12 meters (151'04).\nIn the men's second-place finish, junior Pat Miller established a new school record in the javelin when he recorded an NCAA-provisional effort of 67.74 meters (222'03).\nOther than Miller's performance, junior Hasaan Reddick and freshman Aarik Wilson swept the top two spots in both the long jump and the triple jump. Reddick recorded an NCAA-provisional mark of 16.05 meters (52'08) in the triple jump. Wilson took second with a 15.85 meter mark (52'00). In the long jump, Reddick and Wilson sat at the top again, recording a 7.44 meter (24'05) effort and a 7.37 meter (24'02.25) performance, respectively.\nBoth Hoosier teams will wrap up their regular seasons Saturday at 11 a.m. in the Billy Hayes Invitational at the IU track complex. This is the last event before the Big Ten Championship, May 17-19, in Madison, Wis.