Tennis trio leaves void

When the graduates are announced Saturday, men's tennis seniors Paul Jacobson, Milan Rakvica, and Ian Arons will all give their final farewell to Indiana University and a coach that has taught them life skills. \nThis years men's tennis team ended the year at 14-8 overall, barring an invite to the NCAA Championships, and wrapped up Big Ten play 6-6. The team finished behind what they set out for and far from their goals. \n"I know they would have liked to have finished higher in conference play but I just feel fortunate to have worked with them," Hydinger said. "I am appreciative of all the efforts they have put forth and the willingness to work they have displayed."\nThe trio road a wave that started in their first year as the team finished 9-18, eighth in the Big Ten and road it to its crest last year which saw the Hoosiers finish 17-7 and third in the Big Ten. \nThe group found the most individual success their sophomore year. Arons jumped into the number one spot in only his second year. Arons claimed All-Big Ten and Academic All-Big Ten honors for his second year performance. Rakvica wasted no time working into the program as he earned the No. 4 position where he grabbed a team high 30 wins. At one point in the season Rakvica compiled 17 consecutive wins. Jacobson, playing at the five spot, was not far behind, finishing the year second on the team with 27 wins. The team finished the year 14-10 and fifth in the Big Ten. \nIn their junior year the trio witnessed its most success as a team. Rakvica finished the season 25-17 and received All-Big Ten honors. Arons came back strong for the Hoosiers as well, proving key for the team winning matches against two Top 20 teams. Piling up more victories, Jacobson led the team with a 27-12 mark. The team wrapped up the season 17-7 with a third place finish in the Big Ten. \nIn their final year, IU entered the season with high hopes with a talented and rather experienced lineup. Jacobson's season reached its peak as he advanced to the sweet sixteen round of the All-American Championships. It also fell to the opposite end of the spectrum as he slumped through conference play to finish the season 18-17. Rakvica struggled early but finished strong and was named to the All-Big Ten Team. Arons started strong with a big win over Notre Dame before falling into a bit of a slump, but finished with an 8-3 mark in conference play.\nEach one has found their way into the IU record books. Rakvica's 30 wins in a season makes him one of five to ever accomplish the feat. Jacobson registers sixth in career win with 86 and Arons closes out his career at seventh with 78 wins. \nThe group feels that they have learned about competition as well as compassion from Hydinger.\n"Coach is a competitive guy," Arons said. "Every match he goes out there wanting to win. But that isn't just in tennis, he really cares about how the team does on and off of the court."\nBut to those within the program they will be remembered for much more then their wins and losses. \n"These guys have been great for the team as well as the organization and no one could have asked for more," Hydinger said.