Team dominates IUPUI 1-0

Sophomore forward Lucas Christian scored 11 minutes into the game and the men's soccer team dominated the match Friday in its spring season opener, a 1-0 victory against IU-Purdue University at Indianapolis.\nThe Hoosiers, playing their first of six games this spring, created scoring opportunities early against the Jaguars but failed to convert most of them. The same problem plagued IU last season against IUPUI, when the Hoosiers tallied 25 shots but needed two goals in the final five minutes to win 2-0.\nSophomore Pat Noonan, who created many of IU's chances, called the team's effort "decent."\n"Legs weren't there for a lot of people," he said. "But it was better than last spring to start out. "\nChristian converted the Hoosiers' first legitimate opportunity heading in a cross from senior Ryan Mack at the 33:51 mark, but the team squandered the rest of its chances in the first half.\nSophomore Michael Bock hit the crossbar 30 seconds after Christian scored and missed an open-net shot later in the half. Noonan also missed several shots.\nThe Hoosier defense kept IUPUI from getting many looks at the goal. Junior goalkeeper Colin Rogers didn't touch the ball until 16 minutes remained in the first half.\nThe solid defense was a change from last spring, when the Hoosiers prepared for the fall season with a young, inexperienced defense. Now, freshman David Prall, sophomore John Swann and junior Josh Rife form a defense that, Rife said, has high expectations for next season.\n"We've set a goal that, it might not happen, but realistically there's no reason why we shouldn't give up a goal next fall," Rife said. "We have high standards for ourselves."\nCoach Jerry Yeagley used the game to look at some of his less experienced defenders as well.\nFreshmen Nick McDevitt and Drew Shinabarger played much of the second half as marking backs, and Yeagley played freshmen Nick Donaldson and Justen Spirk in the midfield.\n"I saw some very positive things," Yeagley said. "Some of the new players that had a chance to get some time, some of their stock went up, some of their stock went down"