Teaching assault prevention

Domestic violence is the most repeated, least reported crime in the nation. On Friday, there will be an event that assists in not only educating people about the problem, but also teaching them how to prevent it. \nThe second annual Fitness Against Violence will take place tomorrow at the Student Recreational Sports Center from 3-8:30 p.m. FAV is hosted by the SRSC and all proceeds go to Middle Way House women's shelter. \nThe event offers a variety of programs, including KickBo, Hip Hop, and Tai Chi. Additional educational courses will be offered to promote awareness of sexual assault, domestic violence and body image.\nTwo officers from the IU police department will be presenting a workshop on rape aggression defense.\nOne of last year's FAV participants, faculty member Jolene Boas, encourages assault victims who remain inactive or unsocial because of previous experiences to attend this event.\n"The non-threatening environment allows participants to step out of their comfort zone and try something new while having a whole room of support behind them," she said.\nBoas is a prevention specialist at the Indiana Prevention Resources Center, part of the Health, Physical Education and Recreation department.\nMiddle Way's funding coordinator, Jill Nielsen, said last year there were more than 300 participants, mostly students and faculty members, and the group raised $7,500 in donations and pledges. This year their goal is to have 500 participants and raise $10,000. Admission is $15, $10 if participants pre-register, and everyone is welcome to attend.\n"The point of Fitness Against Violence is to raise awareness of domestic violence and sexual assault; these are issues that affect everyone -- friends, girlfriends, sisters, family members -- and people should be educated about them so that they can help better when they come across it in their own lives," Nielsen said.\nCarol Kennedy, program director of fitness and wellness at the SRSC, said she thinks it is imperative that everyone should educate him or herself about risks and how to take charge of their lives.\n"If these women can be victims of assault, anyone can," Kennedy said. "We are not immune. Anyone of us could have been in the World Trade Center as it was being taken down just as anyone of us could be a victim of assault."\nOne way to take charge is through mental and physical fitness, which is why the SRSC works with Middle Way in arranging this event, Kennedy said.\nNielsen, an SRSC employee, said her hope for FAV is that it flourishes and is emulated by other communities, both on and off campus. Her goal is not just to make everyone aware of how to deal with domestic violence and sexual assault, but to enjoy the experience of learning to empower oneself.\n"Remember that this isn't entirely serious; it's also about having fun," Nielsen said.

For further information click on the following links:\nwww.indiana.edu/~recsport/fav \nwww.bloomington.in.us/~mwhouse