Summer heats up with 'Jazz in July'

The hum of crickets and air conditioners won't be the only sounds of summer beginning this Friday evening, when the IU Art Museum plays host to local jazz ensemble Marty Hodapp's Swinging Dixie Band. Hodapp's band kicks off the eleventh annual "Jazz in July," when they perform the first of four Friday night jazz concerts during the month of July. \n"'Jazz in July' started 11 years ago," said Joanna Davis, administrative assistant for development and administration at the IU Art Museum. "It was geared toward introducing people to the Art Museum. It is a fun way for people to come visit, especially those who haven't previously thought about viewing art, but would come and listen to music."\nEach Friday night in July, a local jazz band will play for the crowds on the Sculpture Terrace at the IU Art Museum. Friday, the museum will feature Marty Hodapp's Swinging Dixie Band. Other acts featured in this year's July line-up are the Monika Herzig Acoustic Project, the Bill Lancton Coalition and the Amy Stephens Group. \n"Jazz in July" has become such a success for the Art Museum that concert attendance has increased to 150-250 people per night. \n"The original idea was to get people in and introduce them to the Museum," said Davis, the mastermind behind this year's event. "For people who already enjoy the Museum, it gives them a chance to enjoy something else at the museum outside of visual art."\nThe concerts, located at the Art Museum, are free and open to the public. Local businesses such as Bloomington Brewery Company, Oliver Winery and Pizza Express will be present at the event to sell beer, wine and pizza.\nThe event has continued to attract both families and college students to the diverse performances, because the musicians are committed to performing well and engaging the audience, especially in a venue supportive of the arts. \n"The jazz community here in Bloomington is very close-knit," said Davis. "All the musicians work together and flip-flop projects, so for them it is a good mode of publicity, but most of all it is fun for them to perform here"