Running alerts players

Coverdale steps up after seeing Davis' press statements

The men's basketball team spent nearly as much time lining up on the baseline in preparation to run at Monday's practice as it did doing basketball-related drills. \nThe reason for the running, according to sophomore George Leach? Himself. \n"I kind of caused that running," Leach said after practice and an individual free-throw shooting workout. "I let my emotions get to me in practice, and I shouldn't have said some things. But it was all about playing hard today and showing our coaches that we are in shape and we can go hard."\nLeach and a group of Hoosiers ran several consecutive sprints, but Leach has his mind elsewhere, like Sunday's initial exhibition game against Athletes in Action. After a season in which Leach said he "didn't produce," -- 1.8 points and 1.5 rebounds per game -- the 6-foot-11 center is ready. \n"I have everything to prove," Leach said. "I have to show the state of Indiana that I can play. This year, I want to come out and do what I'm capable of doing. I'm not sitting the bench this year."\nDavis and his assistants spent Monday's practice paying special attention to IU's defense and conditioning. The running captured the team's attention.\n"We did a lot conditioning-wise," junior forward Jeff Newton said. "We did like 10 sprints in the middle of practice. That's always hard."\n'NECK TO NECK'\nA week after saying freshman Donald Perry was the frontrunner for IU's point guard slot, Davis said Monday the race between Perry and junior Tom Coverdale is "neck to neck."\n"Coverdale is winning by a red hair," Davis joked, referring to Coverdale's red head. \nCoverdale evidently took notice of Davis' statements, which appeared in several publications. \n"It's good that (Coverdale) is reading the paper," Davis said. "He's playing real well."\nDavis said he doesn't expect much from Perry, but said he's pleased with his progress.\n"He's coming around," Davis said. "He has good ability, and he's better this week than he was last week."\nPerry spent some of last week's practice time on the sidelines with a pulled groin, but Davis said that didn't slow the 6-foot-2 guard. \n"I don't think he was hurt," Davis said, smiling. "I think he was nervous."\nKLINE ON THE PINE\nFreshman forward Sean Kline sat out for most of practice Monday, nursing his sore pectoral muscle. An MRI last week revealed the muscle is not torn, but Kline is still being held back from contact drills. \nDuring the four-on-four drills Monday, Kline retreated to the south end of the court to practice his shooting touch. \nDavis said there is a possibility of redshirting Kline, who's questionable for Sunday's game. If Kline would play Sunday or against Nike Elite Nov. 14, his redshirt status would be forgone. Davis said Kline has participated in only "three or four" of 14 practices.\n"Kline is so far behind, but hopefully, he can get back before (Sunday)," Davis said. "If he's still hurt, we still have another exhibition game. I'll probably gauge him on the second exhibition game more than the first."\n(FORMER) GOPHER BURROWING ELSEWHERE\nMinnesota guard-forward Shane Schilling announced Monday he plans to transfer. The decision comes just days after Golden Gopher coach Dan Monson suspended Schilling for violating team rules. The team issued a statement over the weekend, but did not specify which rules Schilling violated. \nThe 6-foot-6 junior was to remain suspended until Monson decided otherwise. \nSchilling, who started both games against IU last season and scored six points in each game, started 31 games last season and averaged 8.4 points per game.