Rematch on the road to Final Four

Rutgers game to determine quest for team's sixth championship

The fourth-seeded men's soccer team continues on its quest for a sixth National Championship this weekend, hosting No. 16 Rutgers in the sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament. The game will be played 2 p.m. Sunday at Bill Armstrong Stadium.\nThe game marks the second meeting of the two schools this season, with IU (15-3-1) defeating host Rutgers (15-6-3) 1-0 Oct. 26. Both teams excelled defensively in the game with IU breaking through on a free kick by All-American junior Pat Noonan.\nCoach Jerry Yeagley said he sees the game as a big challenge and that either team could have won the previous meeting.\n"Against Rutgers earlier this season; they were dominating in the first half," Yeagley said. "(Sophomore Sherif ) El Bialy got hurt and was forced to sit out. The rest of the game was completely one-sided in our direction."\nSenior sweeper Josh Rife agrees.\n"That game was very close last time, and we were fortunate to be able to capitalized on a free kick," Rife said. "Had they scored first, the outcome could easily of been different." \nThis past weekend in the NCAA Tournament, Rutgers proved previous outcomes mean little now.\nAfter falling to the defending national champion Connecticut twice this season by a 1-0 score, Rutgers found redemption with a 2-1 triple-overtime victory in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.\nBig East Player of the Year Dennis Ludwig, a senior, scored both goals, bringing his tourney total to three. Ludwig also scored the only goal in Rutger's 1-0 win against Harvard in the first round of the Tournament. Ludwig is credited with 17 goals this season.\n"Rutgers has a great one-two punch with Ludwig and El Bialy, probably the best in the Big East," Yeagley said. "I envision end to end action with neither team willing to sit back."\nThe strength for IU all year has been defense. IU has only given up six goals in 19 games. Last weekend, IU came off a first round bye to defeat Michigan State for the third time this season, shutting out the Spartans 1-0. IU has held its opponents scoreless for the last 4:73.16 of play.\nSenior goalkeeper Colin Rogers said the defense does whatever it has to do to win.\n"We have to expect that the only team that scores is going to be the team that wins," Rogers said. "Both our offense and theirs are very dangerous, so we have to be ready for anything." \nWith the win over Connecticut, Rutgers head coach Bob Reasso earned his 300th career win, placing him among the top 13 active coaches in college soccer. Yeagley has the most wins among active coaches and is second all-time with 509 victories. Yeagley's .744 winning percentage in the NCAA Tournament is the best in history, and his 59 wins in Tournament play are the second most ever. \n"I have a great respect for Rutgers coaching staff and program," Yeagley said. "Bob Reasso is a good coach who, like us, is very committed to an entertaining style of soccer. They play a very open game, and it should be a crowd pleaser"