Peace activists voice message with weekend march

Group encounters mixed reactions

Several dozen peace activists marched from their peace camp in Dunn Meadow to the intersection of Third Street and College Mall Road Saturday, encountering mixed reaction from passers-by. \nThe protesters sought to express concern about U.S. bombing in Afghanistan in response to the Sept. 11 attacks on Washington and New York. \nProfessor Emeritus of Philosophy Milton Fisk said those who oppose the military campaign, now a distinct minority, support action to halt global terrorism, but not the action undertaken by President George W. Bush. \n"We want some kind of justice, but we differ on the means," Fisk said. "We cannot say 'go ahead' with the war."\nDuring their march, protesters encountered mixed reaction, although most onlookers were supporting the war. \nOne man rolled down his window as he drove by on College Mall Road to yell: "What's your solution?"\nMarcher Peter Drake, a graduate student, said in lieu of bombing, the United States should work in coordination with international law enforcement agencies to track down terrorists, cut off funding to terrorist organizations and involve the United Nations more in the response. \nSome protesters suggested the United States should stop supporting repressive regimes in oil-producing countries. \n"Only in that way can we stamp out the problems that cause terrorism," Fisk said. \nDrake said he worries that the U.S. bombing will simply work to aggravate the terrorist groups, propelling them into taking further action. \n"This could escalate and blow up," Drake said. "The goal has moved from dealing with terrorism to taking the Taliban out of power."\nBut some passers-by associated the peace protesters with the terrorists. \n"You all need to be sent to Afghanistan," one woman shouted. \nMoments later, another driver associated the marchers with Afghanistan, yelling, "Get a life. Go back."\nDespite the reaction, marchers said they wanted the public to know that some opposition to the U.S./U.K.-led campaign does exist.\n"I think we are not getting a fair share of media and there are many people who are against the war, but they feel they are in a minority," said Bloomington resident Reza Pishghi. "Actions like this help get the message out that there are others." \nSome passers-by showed support for the protesters' message with a thumbs-up sign or a honk and a wave.\nOpponents of the bombing said they do not distinguish between the lives of Americans and those of Afghans, be they in Los Angeles or Kabul. All life, they said, is sacred. \nA passer-by disagreed: "Bomb the hell out of them."\nRegion editor Stacy Kess contributed to this story.