'New' team relies on experienced players

Players say they have 'a real desire to achieve greatness'

The IU women's field hockey team is entering the upcoming season with a very positive outlook. The team is in it's third year of existence, and it is hoping to be competitive in the Big Ten Conference this year with the help of returning players and five incoming freshman. \nCoached by Amy Robertson, the team members said they should only improve on their 1-16 record from last season. \n"I think our team will do great this season. We have all worked hard to get to where we are, and we just want to improve," said 2002 graduate Akila Jones of the team she played on since it started in 2000. \nDuring the summer, the team members have been working out on their own as well as with trainers in Bloomington or in their hometowns. Many are hoping all the players return in good aerobic condition in order to focus on their field hockey skills. \n"What haven't we done? Lifting, running, sprints, stairs, ladders and the terrible 'beep test'," junior forward Jaime O'Pray said. "Our strength coach designed a very specific training program for all the players to do over the summer; even the incoming freshman are required to do it." \nThe players have all tried to keep in contact over the summer to keep each other motivated. \n"We are all fighters, none of us ever give up. Everyone loves the sport and has a real desire to achieve greatness," junior midfielder Ginna Irwin said.\nThe biggest obstacle the players and coaches said they will have to overcome this year is the fact that they are still a "new" team. \n"We have no tradition to follow," Irwin said. "This makes us a vulnerable team that doesn't get the respect that it deserves from other teams." \nBut the players and coaches said they use their weaknesses to form their strengths. \n"We have the ability to come in to a game being the underdog and prove to other teams of the Big Ten that we are here to play," O'Pray said. \nThe field hockey team opens its season Aug. 31 at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.