Mashed potatoes an all-purpose crowd pleaser

You can please some of the people all of the time with chili-lime spiked spareribs, and all of the people some of the time with a decent dose of chocolate, but you can please all of the people, all of the time, with a hearty helping of homemade mashed potatoes.\nConsider mashed potatoes a winter anchor, your most faithful standby for any meal -- elegant, down home, and everything in between. They are easier to make than you may have imagined, too -- just boil, mash and eat. \nPerfecting mashed potatoes is another (and highly subjective) story. Some cooks insist on a perfectly smooth mash; others will fight to the quick for a few lumps of texture. Some swear that heated milk is the only way to go; still others vow that it is buttermilk or bust. \nI am Switzerland in mashed potato debates. So long as my mash does not originate from a box of instant flakes, it is all good. I don't mind if my tongue trips over a few lumps, so most of the time I manually mash boiled potatoes with a fork or hand-masher. If ultra-smooth potatoes are the aim, forego the food processor (unless you have a predilection for paste) and invest a few dollars in a "ricer." A potato ricer looks a bit like a giant garlic press and renders velvety potatoes without fail. \nAnother option is "country-style" or "smashed" potatoes -- I prefer calling them "bad mood busters." Some argue that potatoes have anti-depressant properties; this may or may not be true. The bad mood busting I am referring to comes from the process rather than the properties. Drain the potatoes and dump onto a cutting board. Upend the pot and start whacking (visualization is the key). Return the potatoes to the pot and add your fixings. \nHeated milk, a dab of butter, and some salt and pepper tops are my favorite mashed potato fixings, but I am including some other classic combinations. Whichever recipe you choose, toss the cooked potatoes over heat for a few minutes after you drain them to dry any water residue from the pot. Mashed potatoes can sit on top of a warm stove for thirty minutes to an hour without compromising their flavor if you leave the lid slightly askew and stir periodically. \nBasic fixings are but the beginning. Consider mashed potatoes the ideal conduit for your favorite flavors. Those who glory in garlic may choose to add an entire roasted head of the stinky stuff. If using raw garlic, one or two finely minced cloves are plenty. A few cloves can also be added during the final minutes of boiling (to mellow the bite) for an equally scrumptious treat.\nGarlic is the cliched tip of the iceberg of flavor boosters. Cheese lovers will find heaven with a handful of blue, Parmesan, or cheddar cheese; heat seekers have a host of possibilities, from chopped chipotles to chili powder to jalapenos. Let loose your imagination and let the good times, and potatoes, roll.

BASIC MASHED POTATOES \n2 pounds russet (baking) or red potatoes \n3 tablespoons unsalted butter \n3/4 to 1 cup milk, cream or buttermilk, heated until hot (but not boiling) \nSalt & pepper to taste \nPeel potatoes and cut into 2-inch pieces. (If using red potatoes, it is not necessary to peel them). In a large heavy saucepan simmer potatoes in salted water to cover by 1 inch 10 minutes, or until tender, and drain in a colander. Return to pan and heat over medium heat, 1-2 minutes, to dry out the potatoes. Add the butter and 3/4 cup hot milk to pan. With a potato masher or fork mash potatoes until smooth, adding more milk if necessary to make creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Makes 4 servings (recipe may be doubled). \n VERY BEST SLIM VERSION\nPrepare as above, but substitute 2/3 cup heated chicken broth and 2/3 cup lowfat or nonfat buttermilk (lends a buttery flavor) for the milk and butter.

ADD-INS: (Note: All of the following options are "to taste" (add a little, taste, and add more according to your preferences)\n \nCHEDDAR: Stir sour cream (regular or reduced fat) and shredded Cheddar cheese into hot mashed potatoes; finish with a sprinkle of sliced green onion or snipped chives.

DIJON HERB: Stir coarse-grain or regular Dijon-style mustard and chopped fresh or dried herbs, such as thyme or basil. \n \nPESTO SWIRL: Spoon freshly made mashed potatoes into a large serving bowl. Using a spoon, partially stir in prepared pesto to create a swirl design

GARLICKY: Add peeled garlic cloves to the water when boiling potatoes; mash the garlic with the potatoes before adding milk and butter.

CHIPOTLE OR JALAPENO PEPPER: Add a teaspoon or two of finely chopped drained canned chipotle or jalapeno peppers

SALSA: Add 1/3 cup or more of jarred salsa.