Hoosiers silence critics with win

If you listen to the critics, IU got hit by a meteorite. ESPN's Curry Kirkpatrick can eat his words: IU did beat Britney Spears and N'Sync and sophomore guard AJ Moye was right. Duke isn't the University of Jesus Christ.\nAnd 12 disciples weren't playing when IU beat the No.1 seed in the NCAA South region, Duke, 74-73. Last year's NCAA champs.\nI was supposed to be working at the IDS during the game, but I took a break to watch the game. I found a spot where one spectator would not watch the game, because he felt that he was a jinx to IU basketball ever since the 1993 season, when IU lost in a heart-breaker.\nHe wouldn't let anyone give him updates. He wouldn't even buy his own beer, he kept one hand over his eye while he handed his money to another patron sitting at the bar. Every time someone tried to give him an update, he shushed them, telling them they were jinxing the team.\nHis superstition worked.\nIU came back from 17 down. 17 DOWN! When they pulled within six, fans at the Upstairs Pub were on the stools.\nI was with a friend, and we went to Nick's. We went to Kilroy's. There was over a half hour wait at Yogi's. Out on the town was the place to be, and CBS was the station to watch.\nAfter IU was down early, it looked scary. I couldn't watch, every play seemed like a turnover into Duke's hands.\nThank god for the invention of half time. \nBecause when they came out of the locker room, the ugly number of turnovers was erased. IU played cool, they forgot what name was on the front of the Blue Devil jerseys.\nThey caused what seemed like thousands of fans to rush onto Kirkwood and to the Showalter fountain.\nThis time chants weren't "Bring Knight Back," it was "Davis, Davis, Davis." \nHorns starting honking and didn't stop. People came pouring out of houses and buildings. Cameras were flashing and video cameras were rolling.\nIU beat Duke. \nIU BEAT ONE OF THE BEST TEAMS IN THE COUNTRY.\nI made my friend pinch me, because I didn't believe it (although I didn't really feel the pinch, because I was wearing short sleeves in the freezing cold).\nI had to get back to the paper following the upset. But I found it empty. Everyone was outside on the streets celebrating, chanting, screaming and running.\nWho beats Duke?\nIU does!\nBut I missed the celebrations in the apartments complexes. Downtown wasn't the only place to be.\nMy friend lives in the Commons and he said people were pouring out to the parking lots. The same thing goes for Sterling University and the Hoosier Courts at Henderson.\nI haven't seen anything like this since Bob Knight got fired and the fish were ripped from the fountain. This time, the police were ready. The fish were already in safe keeping before anyone could pull them out. \nIt didn't stopped the celebration. It didn't stop the rush of energy and people, who finally have a chance to come together and rejoice the basketball team.\nGo IU men's basketball team. Go IU students. Go Mike Davis.\nYou beat Duke.