Hoosiers shock Badgers 63-32

Defense finally steps up, stays agressive in win

MADISON, Wis. -- So this is what good defense looks like.\nThis here, just past midfield, senior Sharrod Wallace running step-for-step with Wisconsin's Lee Evans and breaking up Brooks Bollinger's bomb on the first play of the game, is how pass coverage is supposed to go.\nAnd here around the 35-yard line, this is what coach Cam Cameron meant the past couple weeks when he talked about defensive backs making aggressive tackles on short pass routes. He meant, on third and one, Wallace sticking Wisconsin fullback Chad Kuhns before he has a chance to finish catching the ball.\nAnd turnovers?\nLook no further than the fumble Wallace recovered on Wisconsin's third drive, or the one he caused on its sixth.\nIn all, the Hoosiers recovered three fumbles, intercepted their first pass of the season and recorded five sacks in a 63-32 shellacking of Wisconsin.\nThe IU defense, for the first time this season, played well. And it did so from the first play from scrimmage.\n"The first play showed that we just got to be attacking and go all out, and that's the thing we did today," said Wallace, who was as instrumental as anyone in IU's defensive dominance. "There were a lot of emotions at that point, so I think it did set a tone."\nIf the first play didn't set a tone, surely the stick Wallace laid on Kuhns did.\nBoth plays led to Wisconsin punts, which in turn led to IU touchdowns. The Badgers either punted or turned the ball over on their first six drives.\nIn those drives, Wisconsin gained 47 yards, gave up three sacks, lost two fumbles and had a punt blocked and returned for a touchdown.\nEach of IU's big defensive plays stemmed from what Cameron preached to his players all week: play aggressive. IU played soft defense in its first three games, giving receivers cushions to break big gains.\n"I told them basically, 'Guys, we've tried that other way and that doesn't work,'" Cameron said. "'Standing out there thinking too much, playing hesitant, it doesn't work. So just turn yourselves loose. I want to see every guy try to go make a play, and if you get beat, it's on me. Go make a play.'\n"There's no fun in playing the game hesitant."\nThe Hoosiers had plenty of fun at Camp Randall Stadium, holding a team that averaged more than 200 rushing yards per game to 106.\nAs for the passing game, Cameron told Wallace and sophomore Michael Hanley they wouldn't have much help. Cameron put his two cornerbacks in single coverage and left the rest to them.\n"Sometimes I don't get real specific in our game planning to put too much pressure on people, but I did say that the key to this game would be the play of Sharrod and Michael Hanley," Cameron said. \n"I'll give both those guys credit. They took the challenge."\nSo did senior linebacker Justin Smith.\nSmith, who finished with 11 tackles, a forced fumble and a sack, often kept the Badgers running east-west, dominating the middle of the field.\nHe, too, said aggressiveness was key.\n"We came today, not to play," he said, "but we came to fight"