Festival connects campus, community with culture

'Food, fun and friendship' highlight Latino gathering

Latin dance sounds from Orquesta Son, a group of local musicians, filled Dunn Meadow Saturday as people danced in salsa steps, lounged on blankets, dined on ethnic foods and simply enjoyed Festival Latino. \nThe event, now in its fourth year, is a way to celebrate Latino culture on campus and in Bloomington. Festival Latino serves to connect the Latino campus and community with music and to provide information about services available on campus. \n"It's like one big family reunion. Food, music, fun and friendship," said Lillian Casillas, director of La Casa International, the Latino Cultural Center and main sponsor. \nThe festival was also sponsored by the Lotus Festival and included four acts of Latino music with free admission, from the dance beats of Orquesta Son to the smooth sound of Ramon and Irma with additional performances by Alma Azul and Joaquin Diaz. In addition to the music, several community and University organizations set up about 30 booths to sell food, provide information and raffle prizes.\n"We try to bring Latino organizations that are community based in addition to the student organizations, anyone who would like to share to educate and celebrate the Latino community in Bloomington," said Casillas, who began planning for the event in January by inviting groups to participate. "Festival Latino is important because it's the one event that La Casa can do to bridge Latinos off-campus with Latinos on-campus."\nMany community groups from La Central Latina to the Monroe County Public Library to the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation were among the presenters at booths.\n"This is a good way to get the community on campus," said Yolanda Trevino of La Central Latina, a community volunteer group, "It serves as an act of solidarity. The Latino experience is interwoven. It's not just the University, it's all parts of life."\nMembers from Latino-based University groups, such as La Casa, Sigma Lambda Gamma, Gamma Phi Omega and Latinos Unidos, also said they appreciated the opportunities of Festival Latino to unite and celebrate.\n"I like the chance to share our culture with the community. We need to learn more about other cultures to break the barriers," said Stephanie Santiago, a senior and president of Gamma Phi Omega. "It's also just a good opportunity to have a good time."\nAlthough the event was called Festival Latino, it was meant for people of all races and backgrounds, said Zelideh Martinez, president of Latinos Unidos.\n"We can show our Latino heritage and involve all ethnicities to promote our traditions and celebrate our music and foods," she said.\nThe students, families and children who crowded into Dunn Meadow Saturday reflected the diversity sought by the event's organizers. Festival Latino was successful in bringing many people together in celebration of Latino heritage, Casillas said.\n"We invite anyone, you don't have to be Latino," said Casillas, "We are bringing the community together whether you are Latino or not"