Draft decision not an easy one

Haston makes himself eligible for NBA Draft, but doesn't hire an agent

Four years ago, Kirk Haston made one of the most difficult decisions of his life, jumping from small-town Tennessee to Big Ten country and Bloomington. \nAfter IU's first-round NCAA tournament loss to Kent State in March, Haston came face to face with another taxing decision -- stick around Bloomington to finish his collegiate eligibility or scamper to the NBA. \nMonday, Haston made his decision official by making himself eligible for the June 27 NBA Draft. \nSandwiched between the two resolutions, Haston has seen both the gratifying and humbling sides of life. \nTwo years ago Saturday, a tornado killed Haston's mother. Two months ago, Haston capped an All-American season by leading the Big Ten in scoring.\n"He's taken a jolt for a 22-year-old kid," said Haston's grandfather, Hoyt Kirk. "But he's handled it pretty good."\nIndeed.\nBy entering the draft, Haston closes the book on an IU career in which he scored 1,406 points and grabbed 748 rebounds. But he has left the Hoosier chapter bookmarked. \nHaston didn't hire an agent, meaning he can return to IU for his senior season. The 6-foot-10 forward, who plans to attend the pre-draft camp June 5-8 in Chicago, has until June 20 to return to IU. Depending on what unfolds in Chicago and what he hears from draft experts and scouts, Haston will make his decision.\nHaston's predicted draft position is expected to play a large role in whether he goes through with the draft or returns to IU. Players drafted in Round 1 are guaranteed a three-year contract worth at least $2 million. Those drafted in Round 2 are guaranteed nothing.\nChris Monter, publisher of Monter's College Basketball News, lists the 6-foot-10, 230-pound Haston as a late first- or early second-round pick and rates him as his No. 7 draft-eligible power forward behind early-draft entries Notre Dame's Troy Murphy and Michigan State's Zach Randolph, both of whom Haston played against -- and helped beat -- this season. \n"He's improved every year," Monter said. "He has good post moves and can step outside. The problem is, who will he guard? He's kind of a small power forward."\nMonter questions Haston's strength, quickness, footspeed and passing skills -- Haston tallied only 111 assists in a 96-game career at IU -- but said he can't blame Haston, who redshirted in 1997-1998 and is on line to receive a business degree, for testing the draft market. \nTeammate and roommate sophomore Kyle Hornsby agrees.\n"You can't fault somebody who has a chance to be drafted in the first round," Hornsby said. "He's graduating anyway, so it's not like he's leaving early. He can get better and be around a while. He can be a really good NBA player."\nMonter said since IU and the Big Ten is heavily scouted, many NBA teams have had a peek at Haston, but Kirk said Haston isn't picking and choosing where he'd like to end up. \n"It's like buying a car. You have a choice of what you want," Kirk said. "We'd like him to be as close as he possibly could, but we'll play with the hand we're dealt. No matter what happens, it's quite an honor to be in this position."\nThe possibility Haston would pass on the NBA and end up back in cream and crimson come November leaves many IU fans giddy. Statements Haston made in his press release Monday and Kirk's words indicate neither would be disappointed if Haston stayed in Bloomington for one more season.\nHaston expressed his thanks to the IU fans and the Bloomington community for showing "a kindness and support to me that has made Indiana feel like home."\n"The town of Bloomington and IU have poured their hearts out to us ever since we've been there," Kirk said. "Kirk has many fond memories." \nShould Haston return to IU and manufacture more memories next season, the Hoosiers will lose no one from a team that compiled a 21-13 record and finished fifth in the Big Ten in 2000-01. Haston, who scored 626 points and grabbed 288 rebounds last season, is only 656 points from becoming IU's fifth all-time leading scorer and 284 rebounds from becoming the third all-time in career rebounds.\nIU will return two double-digit scorers next season -- freshman Jared Jeffries, who himself pondered entering the NBA Draft and scored 13.8 points per game last season, and sophomore Tom Coverdale, who chipped in with 10.7 points per game.\nFreshman guard Andre Owens is transferring, but coach Mike Davis is filling the roster spots with Tallulah, La., point guard Donald Perry and Huntington, Ind., forward Sean KIine. \nHornsby said the Hoosiers, with or without Haston, have an opportunity to be an improved team next season, but said playing without the third-team All-American won't be easy.\n"He'd be good to have around," Hornsby said. "His presence will be missed. He's easy-going and everyone got along with him. We're losing a good teammate and a good friend"