Defensive changes help Hoosiers

Team uses turnovers to demolish Wildcats

Cam Cameron waited until Wednesday to implement a handful of defensive changes for Saturday's match-up with defending Big Ten champion Northwestern. \nHis late change of heart proved to be perfect timing. Perfect as in two interceptions, two fumbles and IU's second win -- a 56-21 thumping of the Wildcats -- of the season in front of 26,213 at Memorial Stadium. \n"We took a gamble and made changes Wednesday," Cameron said. "We needed leadership."\nThat's just what Cameron got. And from a variety of sources: senior linebacker Justin Smith made 18 tackles, two of which were for losses; junior safety A.C. Carter made 17 tackles and collected a fumble recovery; senior safety Marcus Floyd chipped in with 10 tackles, a fumble recovery and an interception and personnel changes worked without a hitch. \nAll told, IU caused four turnovers -- something it never did last season -- and stopped four different Wildcat drives inside the six-yard line. Three of those stops came during the first half, when the IU offense was shredding the Wildcat defense for 42 points, the most ever scored by an IU team in a half at home. IU didn't allow a first down until the 12:36 mark of the second quarter. \n"Today, we just got out there and got it done," Carter said. "Defense wins championships, and we have to keep playing defense."\nAt times, it looked as if IU (2-5 overall, 2-3 Big Ten) knew exactly what Northwestern (4-4, 2-4 Big Ten) planned on doing. After NU's first two drives totaled nine plays and seven yards, IU began its turnover turnaround. \nJunior safety Ron Bethel popped the ball loose from Northwestern tight end Tom Fluegge near the end of the first quarter, leading to an IU touchdown and a 28-0 edge. \nTwo drives later, the Hoosiers made the play that likely ended all hope of a Wildcat comeback. Northwestern moved to within one yard of its first score when sophomore defensive tackle Steve Williams caused another fumble. Carter fell on the ball, and Northwestern's 15-play, 79-yard drive was all for naught. \nTwo drives after the second Wildcat fumble, Hoosier redshirt freshman linebacker Herana-Daze Jones picked off Northwestern quarterback Zak Kustok at the IU two-yard line and sent IU to the break with a commanding 42-0 lead. \n"They jumped up on us early," Kustok said. "They had a few things go their way and we had very few go ours."\nThe NU offense put together three second-half scoring drives, but it was too little, too late against a defense that made all the statements it needed to in the first half. \nFloyd's fourth-quarter interception in the end zone prevented the Wildcats from drawing within 21. The former tailback snuck inside the Wildcat receiver, corralled the ball and returned it 40 yards to set up IU's final score. \nIn the game's final minute, the Hoosiers ended the game in style by halting a 20-play, 78-yard drive that had little consequence, other than pride. \nThe IU defenders credited much of their sudden turnaround to Cameron's changes, a steady diet of film-watching and putting aside their recent struggles. \n"It all goes to preparation," Floyd said. "A key thing is we have to believe even though it hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be"