Defense leads to 3-0 shutout over Butler

With a 3-0 win against Butler last night at Bill Armstrong Stadium, Jerry Yeagley became the second coach in NCAA Division I history to record 500 wins. \nIU came out of the gates controlling the ball and overpowering Butler. After a couple of diving saves by Butler goalie Barrie Grant, IU finally broke through. At the 18:41 mark, senior Tyler Hawley threw the ball into the box, skimming off the head of junior Pat Noonan, and ricocheted off the foot of freshman Mike Ambersley for his second goal of the season.\nAmbersley said the game meant a little more to him because of the history being made. \n"We try to downplay it a little bit, but I mean it's out there every day, we are hearing about it so of course we want to try as hard as we can to get it for coach," Ambersley said. "He's a great coach, the best in the country, and it was just an honor to be out on that field."\nComing fresh off being named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week for the third consecutive week, Noonan put a free kick from about 20 yards out into the back of the net, giving IU a 2-0 lead going into halftime.\nNoonan was not finished. In the second half he made a quick pass to junior back John Swann through several defenders inside the box, which Swann promptly put away, giving the Hoosiers a 3-0 lead.\n"We've been working on that one," Swann said. "Those are the plays we work every day in practice, and I always tell myself one day they are going to come. Noonan just slipped the ball in off my foot. Really, it was all Noonan."\nWith the assist, Noonan has had a part in the last nine Hoosier goals, and 13 of the team's 16 goals.\nYeagley said the play was up and down.\n"The first 30 minutes I was very pleased," he said. "I thought we really played well and came out fired up. I thought we fell asleep the last 15 minutes, took our foot off the pedal, but part of it was Butler, they stepped it up. It wasn't until the last 15 minutes that we really started to get back in sync."\nOnce again the Hoosier defense came up with a shutout, its fifth of the season. Butler managed only one shot in the first half, and IU senior Goalie Colin Rogers tallied three saves.\n"Every time we step on to the field our goal is to get a shutout," Swann said. "Tonight, they had two very good strikers, and I thought (senior Ryan Hammer) did very well. He made me look good tonight because he shut down his man, so mine didn't get the ball too much."\nWith about three minutes to go in the match, and the outcome secure, freshman Ned Grabavoy made his long awaited debut as a Hoosier. Grabavoy has been generally regarded as the top freshman in the country, but was sidelined because of a broken foot suffered on the first day of practice. In his limited action, Grabavoy touched the ball a couple of times, showing glimpses of things to come.\nYeagley says Grabavoy has made great strides, but is not fully ready.\n"He will not go to Michigan, but I would say starting next week, if he keeps progressing, we are going to see more and more of him," Yeagley said. "You know the one pass he made tonight was a special pass. He can really do special things. I wanted to give him a chance to come out here because it was important to him. He said 'I don't care if I get 30 seconds, I would like to be apart of this, I would like to play this year.'"\nSunday the Hoosiers travel to Ann Arbor to take on Michigan at 2 p.m. The Wolverines are 7-1 in their second season as a varsity sport.\n"Michigan has a couple really good freshman," Ambersley said. "They are having a good year so far, which makes this another big game. We better come out to play or they will come out and show us something"