Dark Star: Not your regular cover band

Tribute band honors past Greatful Dead performances

Monday night seven musicians graced the stage at Axis Nightclub, not claiming to be the Grateful Dead, but certainly sounding like them. Dead fans crowded the dance floor as Dark Star Orchestra played tunes by the legendary band.\nHailing from Chicago, Dark Star Orchestra is a band devoted to playing Dead tunes. Not merely a typical cover band, DSO covers sound as well as song. With stunningly similar vocals, John Kadlecik, assumes the role of Jerry Garcia on lead guitar, while rhythm guitarist Rob Eaton nearly clones Bob Weir both vocally and physically. \nThe group redefines the term "cover band" as it tours the country, playing past Grateful Dead shows in their entirety. The location and date of each original show is withheld until the end, leaving fans guessing as each song is played.\nThe band took the stage Monday night, warming up the crowd with opening tunes, "The Promised Land" and "They Love Each Other." \nImmediately, their resemblance to the Grateful Dead was undeniable, as each musician's sound resembled that of the original band members.\nBut the scene really lit up as the song "Jack-A-Roe" ensued, inciting a dancing frenzy. Tie-dyed T-shirts and bandannas spun around the room as Kadlecik delivered a powerful guitar solo.\nTo close the first set, the band jammed through several tunes keeping the crowd on their feet. First, the band played "Ramble On Rose," a highlight of the show as the audience sang along with the familiar tune. The band then finished the set with the popular song, "Deal."\nFollowing intermission, songs like "Bertha" ignited the crowd into an uproar as Kadlecik's guitar solo climbed with speed and intensity, truly reminiscent of rock and roll. Adding fuel to the fire, the band jammed into the favorite "Good Lovin,'" allowing vocalist Lisa Mackey to share her ability to wail like the original Grateful Dead member, Donna Jean Godcheaux. \nFollowing a series of slower jams including "Ship of Fools" and "He's Gone," the tempo picked up with the well-known tune "Truckin'." During the song, Eaton accidentally omitted several lyrics, but the crowd disregarded the mistake and "kept on truckin'."\nThe second set closed with the tune "Around & Around," allowing keyboard player, Scott Larned, to get down on an amazing piano solo. The tempo of the song fluctuated, ending with an upbeat and powerful close, leaving the crowd screaming for the encore.\nReturning to the stage, the band played "U.S. Blues," allowing the audience to hold on to their groove as long as possible. Following the tune, Kadlecik announced the original show was played at the Civic Center in Providence, Rhode Island, Jan. 18, 1979.\nWith strong musical talent and accurate knowledge of the music of the Grateful Dead, Dark Star Orchestra has represented itself as a new form of cover band, allowing fans to experience first hand the sound of a legendary music group.