Coaching staff grows

Bloomington's Moriarty joins team, more coaches to follow

Football coach Gerry DiNardo is methodically piecing together a coaching staff that has a local flavor.\nOne of the newest additions to DiNardo's staff is Bloomington South coach Mo Moriarity, who is regarded as one of the top high school coaches in the state. Moriarity joined DiNardo's coaching staff earlier this week along with Al Borges and Steve Addazio.\nMoriarity, Borges and Addazio join Curt Mallory and Brian McNeely as new IU football coaches. Mallory is the son of former IU coach Bill Mallory, and McNeely is the younger brother of Athletics Director Michael McNeely. \nIU Media Relations Director Jeff Fanter said the coaching staff will be completed within a week. NCAA signing day is next Wednesday, and an official announcement concerning the staff is expected about that time.\nFanter said the official duties of the newly hired assistants have yet to be determined. \nMoriarity, 46, led Bloomington South to state titles in 1993 and 1998. Moriarity's 2001 team finished with a 10-3 record and advanced to the Class 5-A regionals. He also served as the school's athletics director.\n"He's the best," Bloomington South principal Mark Fletcher said. "Not often in high school competition do you know you're going to be the most prepared team in every contest. With Mo, we always knew that would happen."\nIn 15 seasons at Bloomington South, Moriarity compiled a 143-31 record. He also coached at Lakeland (Ind.) High School from 1982-86 before taking the Bloomington South job, and his lifetime high school coaching record is 183-42 record. \nMoriarity's speciality as a coach is offense. Bloomington South averaged 28.5 points per game this past season. Moriarity's tasks at IU will likely include coaching tight ends and some offensive line duties. \nFlorida quarterback Rex Grossman is the biggest name Moriarity coached during his Bloomington South tenure. Grossman, the quarterback of the 1998 Bloomington South state championship team, was the runner-up for the 2001 Heisman Trophy as a sophomore. \nOther NCAA Division I players coached by Moriarity include IU senior defensive tackle Jamil Frink, Kent State's Jared Fritz and Ball State's Steve Sutherland.\n"He pushes his players to their ultimate limits," Fletcher said. "But he also develops close personal relationships with them."\nMoriarity is making the rare jump from the high school coaching ranks to Division I. The last local coach to make a similar move was Ted Huber, who joined Lee Corso's staff in 1980. \nWhen DiNardo was introduced as IU's coach Jan. 8, he said he was committed to serving the Indiana high schools. The hiring of Moriarity appears to be a step in that direction. \n"He's very well respected," Bloomington North coach Rick Wellington said. "He had great teams, and his record speaks for itself."\nThe hiring of Mallory, who spent 2001 as a secondary coach at Central Michigan, is another example of DiNardo trying to raise the program's profile within the state. Besides being the son of IU's all-time winningest coach, Mallory, 33, played one season for Moriarity at Bloomington South. He also spent six seasons as an assistant coach at Ball State.\nMcNeely served as Colorado's recruiting coordinator the past two seasons. He was responsible for luring some of the younger members of Colorado's 2001 Big 12 championship team to Boulder. \nBorges was California's offensive coordinator in 2001. Before arriving in Berkeley, Calif., Borges had stints as offensive coordinator at Oregon (1995) and UCLA (1996-2000), where he coached high-profile players such as quarterback Cade McNown, wide receiver Freddie Mitchell and running back Skip Hicks, all of whom now play in the NFL. Borges will likely receive the same position on DiNardo's staff.\nLast season, Borges' offense at Cal struggled, averaging a Pac 10-worst 18.3 points per game. Borges was not retained when Oregon offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford was hired to replace Tom Holmoe in December. \nAddazio, an assistant at Notre Dame this past season, was one of three members from Bob Davie's staff to be retained by George O'Leary when he was named Notre Dame's coach. Addazio was not retained by Tyrone Willingham, who replaced O'Leary after he resigned in December. \nFanter said none of the members from Cam Cameron's coaching staff will be retained by DiNardo. During the time period between Cameron's dismissal Dec. 5 and DiNardo's hiring, the assistants had the difficult task of selling a program without a coach.\nOffensive coordinator/offensive line coach Hal Hunter was hired earlier this month to become the Tar Heels' offensive line coach. Currently, he's the only member of Cameron's coaching staff who has been hired by another program.\nOverhauling a coaching staff is not unusual when a new coach takes control of a struggling program. \nTedford retained just one assistant from Holmoe's staff. First-year Kansas coach Mark Mangino retained just one assistant from Terry Allen's staff. When Rich Rodriguez took over as West Virginia's coach after Don Nehlen retired at the end of the 2000 season, he retained just one assistant.