'Breaking Away' composer visits campus

The Academy Award-winning movie "Breaking Away" is one of the few things that has put the small, quiet town of Bloomington on the map. The film focuses on the annual Little 500 bike race, and while most IU students remember it for its location, the film's score was perhaps its greatest aspect. \nPatrick Williams, the composer responsible for the Oscar-nominated score to "Breaking Away," will be at IU today through Monday to hold auditions for the Henry Mancini Institute, a program for which he is the artistic director. The Institute is an educational program on the UCLA campus that prepares musicians for a career in the music industry by exposing them to various types of music. While in Bloomington, Williams will also attend a viewing of "Breaking Away" and hold an open discussion of his musical score Sunday. \nIn addition to composing the score for "Breaking Away," Williams has composed music for more than 150 films, records and concerts. With his four Emmys, two Grammys and other awards and nominations, Williams is an accomplished musician. He has worked with greats like Frank Sinatra and Neil Diamond, but he considers a piece of concert music he wrote in 1976 his greatest musical accomplishment. He said "An American Concerto," which was written for jazz and symphony and recorded with the London Symphony, is both bold and impulsive. \n"I like moving around," Williams said. "I've written classical, big band, film scores and jazz. I like doing a lot of different things."\nHe said he is excited about the auditions with the Henry Mancini Institute, which is in its sixth year of existence. While in Bloomington, Williams will audition students from the School of Music to participate in the program. The Institute selects more than 80 musicians overall for a four-week summer program. Williams said he was excited to audition such talented students.\n"The IU music school is one of the best music schools in the world," Williams said.\nWilliams said he is looking forward to coming back to IU, a place he hasn't been in more than 15 years. Although he has never seen a Little 500 race, his bond with Bloomington strengthened during the filming of Breaking Away. He flew to Bloomington for a few days during the shooting and got the chance to spend time in town.\nThe IU Student Foundation will sponsor the Sunday night screening of "Breaking Away." IUSF president Jonathan Purvis said he is excited about Williams' arrival.\n"IU has one of the best music schools in the country, and it's good because IU students have the opportunity to be exposed to this world-renowned musician," he said.\nPurvis said he considers "Breaking Away" to be a significant movie for IU because it brought the school national recognition. He said Williams' visit is appropriate because Little 500 is approaching and IU students will get a chance to meet the man who was a part of the movie.\nThe movie is still an important part of the Little 500 tradition for IU students. Sophomore Jeremy Mitchell called "Breaking Away" a classic.\n"It's a must-see for all IU students," he said.\nMitchell agrees with Purvis that the movie is great exposure for the community.\nThe screening and discussion will take place Sunday at 6:30 p.m at the IU Foundation Showalter House. Admission is free for IU students.