Band offers unique style

IU student-based bands provide numerous entertainment and nightlife options. However, these bands tend to remain notably similar in content and style. Laborius Clef, an up and coming local band, challenges this commonality with a diverse sound and variety of instruments and influences.\nLaborius Clef began playing together last fall. Senior Darren Lipper, who plays bass, loops, clarinet and performs background vocals, has been playing in various bands with Sandhage since their freshman year at IU. It was through a network of fliers that they were introduced to senior Jason Allen - lead vocalist, guitarist, and saxophonist - with whom they instantly clicked. Junior Ian Aliman makes guest appearances with the band, during which he freestyles and provides graffiti artwork for the performances.\nThough still in the early stages, Laborius Clef has received a profound response. Four practices a week have landed the band multiple house party gigs, a demo CD and upcoming gigs at Bluebird Jan. 28 and Uncle Fester's Feb. 6.\nThe classically-trained trio cites a broad set of musical influences that include jazz, funk, rap, hip-hop, reggae and even sounds that resemble those of Latin music and punk rock. Jazz serves as a large influence in the improvisation aspect of the band.\nA structured simplicity is prevalent in the band's music, as each instrument is "distinguished and isolated in itself," Allen said. "The audience can hear the expression in each person's playing and in each instrument."\nLipper is responsible the edgy technology called looping, a type of on-the-spot recording that allows proficient solos and the capability for the bass to be both the melody and the background at the same time. Looping creates the sound of five musicians as opposed to the three of Laborius Clef. It also allows the band to interact and "jam" with the audience.\nThe band's honest lyrics speak about the "interaction of energy between people and the world and what brings them together," Allen said. They all agree that their music combines the intensity of the Red Hot Chili Peppers with the quirky vibe of Primus and the grass roots concentration of moe.\n"(Laborius Clef) incorporates a lot more into sound and performance than most do in trying to always keep things interesting," said Sandhage. \nThe band views themselves as different from the typical jam and cover bands and focus on diversity, energy and their love of music.\n"There is an insane hunger for every kind of music and sound," Lipper said. \nThe band members feel their music has a spiritual intensity that is both sincere and raw.\nLaborius Clef is about creating the show. "If people don't like our music or dig the style, they inevitably leave liking something," Sandhage said. \nThe diversity lies in the nature of the trio, an entirely different dynamic of how people work, as the band aims to break down certain barriers between the audience and themselves with interaction and surprise performance. \n"You'll be watching and all of a sudden, you're in the middle of a one- act play," Sandhage said. \nThe band compares its combination of music and theatrics to the likes of Frank Zappa.\nLaborius Clef hopes its performances will be seen around Bloomington both in the bars and at private parties in the upcoming months. The members look to create a class of their own in the music industry that connects with virtually any fan and connoisseur of music.

Contact Laborious Clef at rsandhag@indiana.edu.