Attempted thefts at 3 area businesses

Police use videotape to identify suspect, continue search

Police have identified a suspect in an investigation of three attempted thefts from Bloomington businesses Friday night. Prison officials recognized an image of the man caught on surveillance tape.\nThe man, described as a heavy-set, 6-foot African-American male, entered the Steak 'n Shake at 1900 N. College Ave. at about 11 p.m. Friday. Police said he ordered a Coke and then went out to the parking lot, saying he needed to go to his car to get his billfold. Upon returning, he asked the cashier on duty if he had change for a $100 bill. The cashier said he did, then proceeded to take the appropriate amount out of the drawer. At that point, the man grabbed the change from the cashier's hand and ran away.\nAbout 45 minutes later, a man of the same description entered the Bigfoot on 1100 S. Walnut St. and attempted a similar "strong-arm" maneuver, according to police. When told the store didn't have change for a hundred, the man asked if the attendant could break a $50 bill -- then a $20 bill. When the cashier said he could and opened the cash drawer, the man reached across the counter and tried to grab money directly out of the drawer. \nBut he was stopped by an anti-theft device in the drawer and ran out of the store empty-handed after he had freed his hand.\nThe final incident occurred about 10 minutes later at Fast Max on 1602 S. Walnut St., police said. The man brought a bottle of wine to the counter but said he did not have any identification when asked. \nThe suspect left the store, then returned and tried to buy an ice cream sandwich. This time, when the cashier opened the drawer to make change, the suspect did make off with an undisclosed small sum of money, pushing an attendant to the ground in getting away.\nThe man got away with less than $200 between the three attempts, said Sgt. Bob Neely of the Bloomington Police Department.\nOne of the incidents was caught on a surveillance video camera, from which police believe they have identified a suspect. Neely did not identify the man but said they were looking for him now and hope to make an arrest soon, possibly within a few days.\nNeely said the suspect would face preliminary felony charges of theft, attempted theft and assault.