Arts graduates pursue their dreams

Three seniors are ready to make their mark in the professional world

There are not many times in life when such a clearly defined ending point is in front of you. Graduating college is one of those times. Yet for many seniors, graduation marks a time for choosing which door to go through. It is a time to take all the knowledge acquired during undergraduate years and apply them to their new lives. This is especially true for students who are graduating with an arts degree. \nWhile it is a common misconception that earning a degree in the arts field leaves those students high and dry after graduation, there are at least three students at IU that beg to differ.\nSenior Evan Rogister, a Rawlings N.C. native, was brought to IU by receiving a 1998 Wells Scholarship and the school of music. Rogister is about to leave IU with degrees from the School of Music in voice and from the School of Public and Environmental Affairs department in public policy, with a minor in Italian.\nBefore attending IU, Rogister was in the boys choir until the end of high school. Most of his attention was spent on playing the trombone, yet when his high school choir teacher encouraged him not to abandon voice training completely, Rogister decided to actively pursue his degree. \nDuring his time here, Rogister studied voice under Constanza Cuccaro, who is not only a winner of the Met National Audition, but has trained many students who go on to successful careers. Starting in the 1999-2000 season, Rogister began performing in IU's renowned opera. His debut as Cook in L'amour des Tres Oranges, lead Rogister to become one of the lead singers in Manon and Candide.\nNext year, Rogister will be attending The Julliard School of Music's graduate program in performance voice. This three-year program will take Rogister to the mecca of all performing arts, New York City. It is common for students to receive additional training in a different environment, but leaving IU will be a sad parting for Rogister.\n"IU and Julliard are essentially on the same level, except that Julliard is in New York," Rogister said. \nBy being in graduate school and also in New York, there will be a plethora of opportunities for auditions and workshops in which to take advantage. Eventually, Rogister will be a recitalist and professional opera singer. His love of opera stems from the combination of many different aspects of the art world including singing, acting and art.\n"I'd like to communicate as honestly as possible and do so in that medium," Rogister said.\nHis dreams of becoming a great singer-actor are starting with strong footing.\nPeter Gerharz is tired. After four years of studying theatre and history, Gerharz's last semester was not taken lightly. While performing in IU Theatre's Scapino, Gerharz was also working on his own project. This seemingly small production of Someone Who'll Watch Over Me, which took place in the Rose-Firebay Theatre, required months of preparation. Having to make sure all details were accounted for, including buying the rights to the show and approving costuming choices, it seemed a bit daunting at times. \nAll the stress, the anxiety and late nights did not deter Gerharz from his studied craft. It actually encouraged him more. \n"I'd like to make a contribution to help revive stage art in this country," Gerharz said. \nHe was "bit by the bug" as a senior in high school while in a production of Cyrano de Bergerac; that bug set the course for his college career. What's next in line for Gerharz?\nChicago.\nBy taking what he has learned at IU, Gerharz will return to his home city of Chicago and audition for theatre companies. While it may seem to be an unsure future, auditioning and performing for various companies throughout the year is the life of an actor.\nFor Brittney Powell teaching acting in The Anacapa School located in Santa Barbara, CA is how she will use her theatre degree. By becoming a teacher, Powell will combine both of her passions.\n"I think it is a noble job, I love children and want to teach them," Powell said. \nBy using skills learned here, such as sound and lighting, Powell will be able to put on the yearly school production with confidence. \nYet, teaching could only be for a few years. Like most trained actors, the desire to be a part of the theater world more directly will probably take Powell to Los Angeles to pursue her dreams. Powell shares a view held by most artists.\n"I'd like an opportunity to express myself in an artistic manner and make people think," she said.