Another tough opponent, another failed comeback bid falls short

Coach questions energy after Hoosiers erase 11-point deficit but lose to Iowa

For the second consecutive game, the women's basketball team pushed a formidable Big Ten opponent to the brink. But yet again, the Hoosiers couldn't execute a comeback in a 73-65 loss to Iowa at Assembly Hall.\nIU (8-8, 2-3 Big Ten) pulled to within three with 33 seconds left Sunday in the Hoosiers' only scheduled matchup with the Hawkeyes (11-5, 4-2) this season. But IU was forced to foul the Hawkeyes' best free-throw shooter, Lindsey Meder, who sealed the win with four free throws in the closing seconds.\nInconsistent liveliness and a continuously weak offense doomed the Hoosiers, IU coach Kathi Bennett said.\n"I never really felt good about our energy the whole game," said Bennett, whose team shot 35 percent. "I think we're a team that has to play incredibly hard on the defensive end. Offensively, right now, we're struggling shooting the ball from the perimeter, so you have to have your defense be tremendous. On our home court, I'd hope we'd do a better job of that."\nAlthough Bennett questioned the Hoosiers' energy, IU stormed back from an 11-point deficit with 2:52 left. Aggressive rebounding carried the comeback.\nDown 66-55, IU center Jill Chapman hit two free throws. Point guard Heather Cassady then stole the ball off a careless Iowa inbounds pass. Forward Erin McGinnis' drive was blocked, but guard Jenny DeMuth snagged a rebound and passed to Chapman, who nailed a put-back and was fouled. That made the score 66-59 with 2:14 remaining.\nChapman couldn't convert the three-point play, but DeMuth snatched another rebound, hit a layup and was fouled. The Hoosiers then trailed 66-61 with 2:12 to go. And just like that, Iowa's 11-point lead evaporated to a five-point margin in less than 40 seconds.\nDeMuth missed the free throw, but the Hoosiers got the ball back after an Iowa airball. Cassady was forced to foul Meder, who missed one of two free throws to increase Iowa's lead to 67-61 with 48 seconds left. \nChapman then rebounded in traffic 10 seconds later and passed to DeMuth on the perimeter. Left alone, DeMuth nailed a three pointer, her only one of the afternoon. IU trailed 67-64 with 33 seconds remaining. Meder and Iowa guard Kristi Faulkner made the next six free throws to stretch the lead out of reach.\n"Every game in the Big Ten is going to be a close game," McGinnis said. "We just have to figure out how to come together and win the close ones."\nIowa dominated the paint. The Hawkeyes have played without a true center all season and started 6-foot-1 center Jennie Lillis against IU's 6-5 Chapman. Lillis finished with 15 points and five rebounds to Chapman's team-leading 16 points and seven rebounds.\nIowa outrebounded the Hoosiers 43-34. The trio of Jerica Watson, Beatrice Bullock and Lillis combined for 12-of-26 from the field for 33 points. In comparison, Chapman, McGinnis and guard Khisha Asubuhi went 10-of-28 for 31 points.\n"We don't have (size), so we don't worry about it anymore," Iowa coach Lisa Bluder said. "Now we have to think of ways to score without the size. Actually, Jerica Watson can shoot over anybody. She goes in, the first possession she has, she shoots over Jill Chapman."\nWatson caused much trouble for the Hoosiers. She came off the bench to collect 11 points, six rebounds and four blocks in 22 minutes. She blocked McGinnis on the perimeter late in the first half and then blocked forward Jamie Gathing a minute later on a drive.\n"No. 5, (Watson) she comes off the bench, and she can just jump out of the gym," Chapman said. "They're all very aggressive and very strong at the post. They can all drive to the basket. That's why they play in the middle of the paint"