Almonte scandal spotlights problems with youth sports

In the last two weeks, a little league baseball team captured the attention of the American public with its efforts in the Little League World Series, placing second in the U.S. bracket. Sports radio and TV stations were abuzz over the team's play, specifically Danny Almonte.\nAlmonte threw a perfect game in the playoffs and followed up that performance with a one-hitter. He gave up one run in three games and three hits to boot. Almonte was dominating. A performance like his was unheard of on the Little League level, heck, even on the major league level. There was only one problem: Almonte is 14, in a league where 12 is the maximum age limit.\nWhat has also come to light recently was that Almonte's parents didn't have him enrolled in school this past year, instead letting him stay home and play some ball. It's quite evident that his parents blatantly cheated, enrolling him in a league in which he was older than any other player by two years just so he could be a more dominating player. For this reason alone, a second look needs to be taken at youth sports.\nI played sports growing up. A lot of sports. Soccer, basketball, baseball, football and more; making sure to try a little bit of everything. My parents were there for me every step of the way, helping me practice if I wanted to, or getting me to the next game I had to play. For that I am appreciative. I also am grateful that my parent's involvement stopped there. \nFor some adults, their kids are their second chance to be a sports star, and they aren't going to let the opportunity pass. So they ride their kids, make them practice all the time, play in off-season leagues, and even keep playing the sport if they don't like it just because the dad is a fan of it. \n The parents are always looking for a short cut to give their child the extra edge, whether it is some new summer camp, or in this case, just skipping school entirely. This is wrong, blatantly wrong.\n Youth sports are for kids, not for their parents. I mean sure, you can get excited from seeing your son or daughter out there succeeding, but at the same time, you have to be there for them when they don't make that big shot, not only when they make it.\nWe, as the future adults of America, have a chance to make a difference. Soon enough, we will be the ones with the children participating in youth sports. So instead of treating our kids like they are our retirement plan and their success is important, just let them do what they enjoy. Any time you feel yourself wanting to push your child in a direction they may not want to go, push yourself instead. Join a recreational league or start riding a bike every day. Your kids will thank you for it later.