Allow pilots to be armed

Armed pilots make skies safer

The typical box cutter is usually not an intimidating object. It is usually a plastic container with a thin strip of metal cut into individual blades. Movers use them. Artists use them. Store employees use them when shipments come in. But they were used to threaten, injure or kill airline employees aboard the planes that crashed on Sept. 11. And none of the victims had access to anything that would be a formidable defense against the instrument of their demise.\nPerhaps if there had been an air marshal or armed pilot aboard, things might have turned out differently. President George W. Bush recently called to mandate the increase of safety measures on planes. Bush unveiled a comprehensive piece of legislation that, if passed, will forever change air travel and might just be able to coerce those still afraid to fly back on board.\nHis plan includes several changes to the existing flight plan. Air marshals, currently being taken from the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Immigration and Naturalization Service until they can train others specifically for the job, will be placed in almost every flight, according to CNN.com. These marshals will be in plain clothes, and will be carrying a weapon.\nBush and the FAA also want to step up cockpit security by installing stronger, more secure doors. CNN.com reports that white house officials oppose letting pilots carry handguns. Which makes sense because they need to concentrate on the really important task of actually flying the plane.\nThere is no need to worry about a bullet piercing the hull either, because they plan to use hollow point bullets. This kind of bullet penetrates the target, and the tip of the bullet explodes on contact. Therefore, it would be enough to stop a terrorist, but not enough to cause serious damage to the plane. \nThe airline industry is in dire need of a solution, and quick. Delta already released 13,000 employees in the past two weeks, according to CNN. This industry is a huge part of American economy, and we cannot afford to lose it. Bush has the right idea by acting quickly on a plan that will make both the airline employees and passengers feel more secure, especially in a time where everything seems insecure.\nStaff vote: 6-4-0