A weekend of entertainment

The Queen of the Blues is coming to Bloomington.\nKoko Taylor, who had her first hit, Wang Dang Doodle, more than 35 years ago, is still on the road, and Friday she's bringing her Blues Machine to the Bluebird, 216 N Walnut St. Taylor is a Grammy-award winner, Blues Hall of Famer and 1998 "Chicagoan of the Year". She grew up on a sharecropper's farm in Tennessee and was discovered by legendary bluesman Willie Dixon in 1962 after moving to Chicago. 40-odd years, a dozen albums, and thousands of concerts later, she's still going. She's touring in support of the new album Royal Blue, her first in seven years. Doors open at 7:30, with a showtime of 9 p.m. Tickets are $17.\nDistinguished Professor and Chair of the IU School of Music's Jazz Studies Department, David Baker will perform at Bear's Place today as part of the weekly Jazz Fables series. Baker was recently named a Living Legend by the Indiana Historical Society. The Pulitzer Prize and Grammy nominee has on his resume over 2000 compositions, 65 recordings, 70 books and 400 articles. He will be playing cello in "A Tribute to J.J. Johnson," joined by area musicians including Jimmy Coe, "Pookie" Johnson, Linda Baker, David Miller, Paul Johnston, Jeff Hiatt and Pete Wilhoit. The show begins at 5:30 p.m.; Tickets are $7. Look for a special feature on David Baker in this Monday's IDS.\nThe newest offering from the Bloomington Playwrights Project is "Jeremy Frye Kicked a Hole in the Sky," a family play by Kara Hartzler and directed by IU MFA Directing student Steven Decker. In the play, Jeremy, played by Luke Pennington, kicks his ball so high it tears a hole in the sky and he has to fix it with the help of his friend Natalie (Hubbell Carothers). The show will get off the ground with an Opening Night Pajama Party this Friday: kids are encouraged to wear their PJs, and cookies and milk will be provided. After the opening, the play continues at 8 p.m. every Thursday through Sunday until July 8; there is also a 2 p.m. matinee Sundays. Tickets are $7 for kids, students and seniors and $10 for adults. For more info or to order tickets, call 334-1188.