State Senate battles over casinos

INDIANAPOLIS -- The fiscal leader of the Indiana Senate squared off with gambling proponents Wednesday, a day before his committee was expected to endorse a GOP tax plan without provisions to expand gambling.\nThe Senate Finance Committee plans to scrap language from a Democrat-drafted House bill that would allow riverboat casinos to remain permanently docked, authorize a casino in Orange County and allow slot-like machines at horse racing venues in central Indiana.\nDuring a committee hearing Wednesday, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Larry Borst likened the intense lobbying push for expanded gambling to "a big ol' free-for-all" to see "who can wine and dine more legislators."\n"What we've got going on right now in this Legislature is an outright shame," said Borst, R-Greenwood. "The gamers are trying to run the show and I don't want them to, and I'll be doggone if I'm going to let them do it while I'm here."\nBorst's committee is expected to approve other significant changes Thursday to a bill passed by the House last week aimed at shoring up the state's budget deficit and restructuring taxes. Republicans control the Senate 32-18 while Democrats control the House 53-47.\nIf the full Senate approves a plan on Tuesday, it would leave only four days for the House and Senate to reach and pass a compromise by the special session deadline of June 22.\nThere were few signs of optimism that would happen, but Democratic Gov. Frank O'Bannon has said he would call a second special session if lawmakers do not act on time.