Coach grabs 400th career victory

Hoosiers recover from shutout, defeating Purple Aces 6-3

IU softball coach Diane Stephenson recorded her 400th career-coaching victory when the Hoosiers (11-21-1) downed Evansville 6-3 in the nightcap of their doubleheader yesterday. Evansville (23-18) shutout the Hoosiers 7-0 in the opener, but the Hoosier bats came to life in the second game.\nThe win makes Stephenson the fourth coach in the Big Ten conference to reach the 400-win plateau. Stephenson joins Michigan's Carol Hutchins, Iowa's Gayle Blevins and Ohio State's Linda Kalafatis as other conference coaches to have reached the milestone.\nPurple Ace freshman pitcher Katie Markle silenced the Hoosiers' bats in the first game, allowing five hits over five innings pitched to improve her record to 13-7. Sophomore outfielder Emily Winters provided the offense for Evansville, going 3-for-4 in the first game. Senior outfielder Kate Walker and sophomore shortstop Jamie Davison chipped in with two hits for the Purple Aces.\nEvansville jumped on IU starter, senior Alison Cooke who allowed 10 hits in 4 1/3 innings pitched and gave up the seven earned runs.\nIn the nightcap, the Hoosiers touched up Markle, scoring six runs and knocking 11 hits in Markle's 6 2/3 innings pitched. Four of IU's hits were doubles, as junior second baseman Heather Suca had two doubles and two runs batted in.\nJunior third baseman Stormy Hanson went 3 for 4 with a double and run scored, while sophomore first baseman Heather Stillians was 2 for 3 with a double, two runs scored and a run batted in. Hanson and Stillians now lead the Hoosiers with .374 and .344 batting averages respectively.\nFreshman pitcher Katie Witham picked up the win for the Hoosiers to improve her record on the year to 5-5. Witham struck out three Purple Ace batters, allowing just three runs and seven hits over seven innings.\nIU returns to action this weekend as they travel to Illinois for games Friday and Saturday and then to Purdue for a doubleheader Sunday afternoon. The Hoosiers will be searching for their first Big Ten win on the year.