Victory ends 4 years of frustration

Seniors accomplish goals by defeating Purdue, advancing to Big Ten Championships

INDIANAPOLIS -- They did it. They finally did it. \nAfter fours years of trying, after four years of frustration, the seniors on the IU women's basketball team finally beat Purdue. In doing so, they accomplished two more firsts - advancing to the championship game of the Big Ten tournament and being the first No. 5 seed to do so. \nFor the IU players and coaching staff, Sunday night's win meant more than an opportunity to play for the conference's highest honor, it meant respect; something they felt they should receive from the Hoosier state.\n"Things are changing, and we're here to stay," coach Kathi Bennett said. "This group of seniors did it."\nBut tonight, the IU seniors are going to attempt another first: Win a tournament championship. \nThat's a challenge senior center Jill Chapman said the team will be ready for.\n"I know this coaching staff is going to be prepared, and we're going to be ready to play," she said.\nWith Chapman, forward Erin McGinnis and point guard Heather Cassady lead the senior crusade in the semifinal game against the Boilermakers. Chapman scored a team-high 17 points (13 in the second half), Cassady contributed 13 and McGinnis chipped in for nine. IU's seniors scored 43 of the team's 55 points, and grabbed 24 of 43 rebounds. \nCassady played the role of "ironman" once again by playing all 40 minutes in the upset victory. She has played every single minute in IU's run to the tournament's championship game, tallying 85 minutes in two games.\nCassady is looking for 40 more minutes, and a Big Ten championship tonight. To do so, the Hooisers have to defeat No. 2 Penn State, a team that has a tournament record 16 wins. But just to get to that point, IU had to rally from a .500 regular season conference record and an accident that nearly cost its head coach her life.\nBut the team's negatives have turned into positives, and that's obvious to Bennett.\n"I think (the accident) brought us together," she said. "I don't think I've ever been a part of a team that's been tighter or has shown more love. It's genuine, it's real. I think it's spurred that, and it's been a difference-maker for us."\nThe difference against Purdue was that in the post IU had 11 blocks, setting a tournament record. The team that most recently tied the record was none other than tonight's opponent. But if the Hoosiers are going to defeat the team that beat them twice in the regular season, they're going to have to turn away from the post and put some bodies on Nittany Lion sophomore guard Kelly Mazzante. \nMazzante averages 24.8 points per game and set the Big Ten regular season record for points in a game with 49 against Minnesota. The next leading scorer on the team is senior forward Rashana Barnes with 9.6.\nMazzante held the previous record for most points scored by a Penn State player in the conference tournament when she dropped 30 on Ohio State Friday. \nThat was until she torched Wisconsin for 34 points, including a tournament and school record nine three-pointers, in 34 minutes of last night's 76-62 semifinal win. She also set the tournament record for threes, in just two games, with 12.\nMazzante said her team is excited for its trip to the championship game against the Hoosiers.\n"We are very familiar with Indiana, and tonight we will do our homework and be ready to play (tonight)," she said. "We are a very determined team right now and focused on winning the tournament." \nBut when it comes to confidence in facing the Nittany Lions star guard and the conference's second best team; the Hoosiers just beat the No. 1 seed in the tournament, a game they weren't supposed to win. \nBennett said that has her team on an emotional high. \n"I think Penn State has been playing the best ball in our conference," she said "I felt like they were the best team going into the second game with them, and that's being very honest.\n"There's no question in their mind that they think they can beat anyone right now"