The best of a tough situation

Senior Rahman Smiley could have surrendered hope; instead, his unremitting injury and the team's struggles have only inspired him to make the best of a complicated situation. Maybe that is the lesson tennis has taught him. No matter how difficult a challenge, if you simply try to do your best, you might be presently surprised at the results.\nDespite his chronic back injury, which has limited him to action in only seven matches this season, Smiley has kept a positive demeanor.\n"Well, he's done it. He's kept his head about it," coach Ken Hydinger said. "He has tried to help other guys on the team and he has shown maturity. He has really matured." \nHydinger has faith in his seniors on the team, especially Smiley. \n"He brings the right attitude to the game," Hydinger said. "He cares about the game. It's a part of him. He has been a vocal leader for this team."\nSenior Milan Rakvica said it must be very hard for Smiley to deal with the back injury and watch the team. Rakvica said Smiley does a great deal of rehab, and it is only a matter of time before he returns.\n"It will give Rahman more appreciation," Rakvica said. "It will make him try even harder when he gets on the court, so I think it will be good in the end." \n Hydinger stressed the importance of communication within the team. He said if instruction does not come from within the team, then it is probably not going to come. Smiley, who stands 6-foot-4, provides the instruction, a drastic change from his freshman year, where he was timid, his coach said. \n"When I'm not playing I give the guys advice if I have played the guy before," Smiley said. "I point out the negative things they are doing; not only the negative things, but positives as well. I try and get my teammates' spirits up."\nSmiley, a journalism major, has steadily improved his play every year at IU. During his freshman year in 1998-1999, he was 13-12 overall and 4-7 in the Big Ten. Sophomore year he jumped to 23-14 and 7-3 in the conference. Last year he maintained a similar record as the previous year going 22-12, but significantly increased to 10-2 in the Big Ten.\nHydinger said his groundstrokes are better and he has refined his game. He has studied points and people. Hydinger said physically, emotionally and mentally his game is better. \nSmiley has a career singles record of 68-46 and several people to thank for his success.\nHe said his mom and dad have helped create his attitude and personality and have taught him valuable lessons he will never forget. \nThe senior has genuinely enjoyed his time at IU, and he will be sad to see it come to an end. Smiley reflected back on his time in Bloomington.\n"The academics are great at IU and the campus is awesome," Smiley said. "The coaches and players are good people and I knew that it was the best place for me to develop as a tennis player against top competition"