IU alumni take on the road with 'Annie Get Your Gun'

The sun shines brightly through the large windows of Bloomington's Hampton Inn, as several cast members of "Annie Get Your Gun" sit around a table and enjoy a light breakfast. \nThe touring company perfomed yesterday and will perform tonight features Brendt Reil, Chris Klink and Joe Komara, all IU alumni. \nKlink, ensemble member and one of two dance captains for "Annie Get Your Gun," started his career at IU as a music major. \n"When I first got here, I was torn between studying classical music and musical theater. Once I got involved in (Singing) Hoosiers it steered me towards musical theater," Klink said.\nFrom there, Klink became involved with independent productions at the Walrdon Arts Center. Klink said his activities taught him how to put focus into his acting.\n"A lot of the shows I was in were low budget but the cast put their heart into the show and we became a family. It taught me to love what I do," he said.\nReil, a member of the ensemble and understudy for three main roles in the cast, said he is thrilled to be back at IU.\n"It's great. Last night we went to watch 'Parade' rehearsal. It's overwhelming to see all of our friends," he said. "It's good to come back and share with them."\nKlink and Komara are just as excited.\n"I think (coming to IU) was one of the reasons I did the tour," Klink said. "I thought it would be cool to come back and do a show."\nKomara's experiences at IU were very similar in many ways to Klink and Reil's. He began at IU as a vocal performance major. Although he was heavily involved with music, he was also interested in the business aspects of entertainment.\n"I was trying to find a mix between business and music," Komara said. \nKomara ultimately decided to develop an independent major that married the music business to the entertainment industry. He also picked up minors in business, psychology and theater.\n"I got a plethora of opportunities here," he said. "I got a pallet of things to work from." \nReil also said he feels that he has taken away a great deal of knowledge from IU.\n"In musical theater you come across many (Bachelor of Fine Arts students), but here you have to seek it out," Reil said. "IU's a great place to develop technique in all aspects. It's a great place to build a solid foundation."\nHe said he feels one of the most important things he gained was the drive to go after his goals.\n"The only thing that will get you a job is determination," Reil said.\nThese three actors have friendships that were forged long before they started touring. They have memories together from their years as undergraduates.\n"It's funny how we all became friends over the years," Komara said.\nHe chuckles as he explains that his peers refer to Reil, Klink and Komara as "the boys from Indiana."\nKlink said he remembers the excitement they shared when they found out they would be touring together.\n"It's been great," Klink said. "We each got a call the same day telling us we were in the show."\nKomara said being with Reil and Klink makes him feel like he never left IU. The feeling is mutual.\n"We still do a lot of our old jokes from school," Reil said. \nAside from their own friendships, these men have gained the respect of the other members of the cast. Stewart Brown, who plays the role of Sitting Bull, said he appreciates thier talent and dedication.\n"It's a pleasure to work with these young artists that are very prepared and professional," Brown said. "They are a credit to their training at the University."\nWhen the tour ends Jun. 9, these actors will be left with many fond memories of their experiences on the road.\n"I'll miss the cast," Klink said. "I came out of a job where the cast had a hard time getting along. We've become close." \nReil explains that the 22-person cast has spent six months living, eating and taking eight-hour bus rides with one another.\n"We go through everything together," he said.\nKomara said he will miss the comfort.\n"We don't have huge responsibilities," he said. "I enjoy being on the road. You always have someone to watch over you." \nKlnik, Reil and Komara said they are all proud to be performing in this show as IU alumni.\n"IU was the perfect place for me. Even though they have no musical theater program, it's still a great place to study and get a well rounded education," Klink said.