Hoosiers ready to start spring golf season

It's snowing in Bloomington. Wind chills are dipping to ear-numbing levels. People are hacking at their car windows to remove ice. \nGolf season must be starting.\nThe Hoosiers have begun their spring campaign in the warmer climates of Pensacola, Fla., participating in the two-round Emerald Coast Collegiate tourney which began yesterday and concludes today.\nBut the frigid temperatures of Bloomington followed the men to Florida. In the first day of action yesterday, the men's golf teamn shot a first-round 314, and are in sixth place overall. The tournament was called before the completion of one of the rounds because of frosty temperatures.\nIU's Ben Davidson is tied for second place overall after day one action. The junior shot a 1-over-par 73, and stands one stroke out of the lead. \n"Ben played a great round today, especially under these conditions," IU coach Mike Mayer said in a press release. "It was unfortunate that he ended his round with a double bogey, or else he would be leading the golf tournament."\nDavidson and junior Aldo Jordan are joined by freshmen Jeff Overton, Rob Ockenfuss, and Heath Peters in the Hoosier lineup.\nIn addition to IU, the field of competitors consists of Austin Peay, Cincinnati, Drake, Eastern Michigan, Florida A&M, Florida Atlantic, Illinois, Louisville, Missouri and host West Florida. West Florida is the defending NCAA Division II champion.\nMayer believed prior to heading to Florida that the Hoosiers could tame the tournament course, Tiger Point Golf & Country Club.\n"It's a good test of golf," Mayer said. "With our length, I think it (the course's layout) suit us pretty well. We believe this tournament gives us a chance to compete for a title right away."\nMayer also thought that any southern team who thinks that northern teams like IU won't be able to compete may be in for a bit of a surprise. During the off-season, the team worked with strength and conditioning coach Stephan Roche to bulk up and add flexibility to golf-related muscles. \nThe mild weather also allowed the Hoosiers to play more frequently than usual during the winter.\n"I really feel we can challenge some of the southern schools," Mayer said. "I wouldn't be surprised if we beat a lot of their butts."\nThe IU golfers were excited about the prospect of playing in a tournament setting for the first time since October. Particularly enthused is Jordan, who missed the end of the fall season after being injured in an automobile accident.\nJordan spent much of his winter break working to strengthen his muscles and bones that had been damaged. Upon returning, he focused on getting back into golf-related shape.\n"On a scale of one to 10, I would have to give this a 15," Jordan said. "I'm really excited. I've put a lot of effort into running and eating right. I'm finally getting back on track."\nFor Overton, the tournament will be a gauge of his transition from an inexperienced rookie to a cagey leader both on the scorecard and as a decision maker. Overton will be playing in the No. 1 spot for the Hoosiers.\n"You learn from the best five players from teams all over the country," Overton said. "It allows you to stay more competitive."\nThis is the first year that IU has competed in the Emerald Coast Collegiate. The tournament was added on to the schedule to make up for the loss of the Northern Intercollegiate, which was among the Big Ten events cancelled in the aftermath of Sept. 11.\nIf the weather behaves, IU will begin the final 18-hole round at 7:30 a.m today.