Florida greens await golf team

For those who put any credence into superstition, seven is a significant number -- as in seventh place, where the Hoosiers have finished their past three tournaments. \nIt's said that good things come in threes. \nNot for junior Mike Miller. After entering the fall season as the top golfer for IU, Miller played only three rounds, needing surgery to repair damaged ligaments in his wrist after the season-opening Badger Invitational.\n"I'm very anxious to get back to playing after surgery," Miller said. \nMiller said he is almost back to 100 percent, experiencing no real pain but occasionally hitting the ball a few yards shorter than normal.\nOver spring break, the Hoosiers will have an opportunity to toss their unlucky numbers out the window as they play in two different tournaments.\n"It's a fun trip but not a vacation," Coach Mike Mayer said. "We're here to play golf."\nNine players will make the trip. Freshmen Jeff Overton, Rob Ockenfuss and Heath Peters, sophomores Ryan Cassidy and Kirk Wood, juniors Bret Hardin, Aldo Jordan and Ben Davidson and senior Richard Thomas will all see playing time in both tournaments.\n"It will be a lot of fun," Overton said. "Team unity will be a lot better, and it will help out (with) things in the future."\nDespite being in Ocala, Fla., IU serves as co-host with Ball State for their first event of spring break, the Big Red Classic March 9-10. The event is 54 holes.\nThe event will be played at the Lake Diamond Golf & Country Club. In addition to IU and Ball St., the field includes Akron, Bowling Green, Evansville, IU-Purdue University at Indianapolis, James Madison, No. 32 Lamar, Marshall, Methodist, Michigan State, Northern Illinois, Ohio, Penn State, Richmond and Xavier.\nMayer described Lake Diamond, which plays at about 6,600 yards, as a very short and tight course.\n"They won't always be hitting driver off the tee," he said. "(The course) will really penalize errant shots." \nThe Big Red Classic is a rare tournament. Six players compete for the team, and the top four scores are counted for the team total. The remaining athletes play as individuals.\nAfter the Big Red Classic, the Hoosiers have four days of practice to prepare themselves for the El Diablo Invitational in Citrus Springs.\nMayer said that the tournament course layout will require players to use both length and shot-making strategies.\n"If you hit the ball crooked," Mayer said, "you won't find your golf ball"