V-day raises awareness, money for local groups

'Vagina Monologues' part of effort to stop violence against women

I was worried about vaginas. I was worried about what we think about vaginas, and even more worried that we don't think about them…So I decided to talk to women about their vaginas, to do vagina interviews, which became vagina monologues. I talked with hundreds of women. I talked to old women, young women, married women, single women, lesbians, college professors, sex workers... They were a little shy. But once they got going, you couldn't stop them. -- playwright Eve Ensler.\nEve Ensler first began performing "The Vagina Monologues" in the mid 1990s, and it has evolved into something of a phenomenon. It has spawned numerous reproductions and even a day dedicated to preventing and ending violence against women in 1998. Since then, V-day has grown to include a campaign involving various colleges and universities around the world. \nThis is IU's third year participating in the world-wide V-day events. V-day is held on or around Valentine's Day each year to help end violence against women and girls around the world.\nWhat began as a one-woman play by innovator Ensler has now been adapted for performance on a college level. This year's shows will include close to 35 students, faculty, IU staff and members of the community.\n"I think it's a fantastic play, especially for women to see," said Debby Herbenick, research associate for the Kinsey Institute. "The money goes to a great cause, and both men and women need to be a part of that work."\nAs one of the 550 colleges participating in V-day 2002, IU is given permission to recreate Ensler's "The Vagina Monologues" free of charge, provided the money raised is donated to local organizations working to end violence against women. \nV-day 2000 events at IU raised more than $600 to donate to the Middle Way House. V-day 2001 performances of "The Vagina Monologues" raised close to $5,000, and proceeds were split between the Middle Way House and sexual assault prevention programming through the IU Office of Women's Affairs.\nHerbenick said proceeds will go to the same organizations this year, as well as a new international fund to aid women in Afghanistan.\n"It has long been a concern of Eve Ensler's to aid women in Afghanistan, so a portion of our proceeds will go to that international fund," Herbenick said.\nLong before Sept. 11, Ensler was working to improve living conditions of women in Afghanistan, and she even visited the country several times. In response to what she saw, Ensler began the Afghanistan is Everywhere fund.\nAs a representative of one of the recipients of this year's proceeds, Assistant Dean for Women's Affairs Carol McCord highly recommended "The Vagina Monologues" to both men and women.\n"In our society, messages about women's bodies have been so perverted that having a production that celebrates in a positive way -- not a pornographic way and not just biological or educational way," McCord said. Portraying women's bodies is a very empowering experience for women, and I would hope for men as well.\n"My sense is -- from people who haven't had a lot of professional experience -- it tells both women and men to be more comfortable with their bodies in a sexual way. It's a really positive set of monologues."\nMcCord said she had seen version of "The Vagina Monologues" both at IU and in New York for the V-day 2001 performances and that both held important messages for all students.\n"These monologues portray women's experiences and help put ideas out there for people to compare to their own experiences," she said. "But it's not done in a pornographic way; it's not done in an abusive way. It portrays women in a very real and emotional way." \nSenior Sarah Hahn is the director of this year's performance and was also involved in performances in the past two years. She has seen the progression of the show from 2000 through the current incarnation of the monologues.\n"It's just something that I sort of happened upon by accident and has really become a very large portion of my life," Hahn said of see the performances.\nHahn said she opened auditions and held an official callout this year to find women interested in performing. She asked the women to come in and simply tell a story, rather than perform a traditional monologue or audition piece. She said she wanted to learn how they felt getting on stage.\n"Real women's voices sharing real life experiences -- that's what this show is all about," Hahn said. "I included as many women as I could; it was really a goal of mine to get a diverse cast. Actresses range in age from 13 to 57 and come from all different backgrounds."\nHahn said the cast members rehearsed both in groups and one-on-one with her to perfect their roles. \n"I feel this collection of monologues creates a creative space for both men and women to explore subjects and vocabulary and ideas that we are all thinking about but no one wants to talk about - well, no, that's not right," Hahn said. Everyone wants to talk about them, but no one can find the space to."\n"The Vagina Monologues" offer a creative space to discuss human sexuality. Some of the pieces cover serious topics, but overall, it has been characterized as a fun performance.\n"It's a fantastic play, and generally people enjoy it very much," Herbenick said. "Each year we do have standing room only and tickets sell out very fast; so I would advise people to come at 5 p.m. I don't want anyone to walk away disappointed because they came right at seven."\nAlong with Kinsey Institute Sexuality Information Service for Students, this year's V-day performances will be sponsored by the Wilkie Community Council, IU Health and Wellness, IU Women's Student Association and the IU Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance. Also contributing are the office of Women's Affairs and the IU College Democrats.\nPerformances begin at 7 p.m. Feb. 15, 16 and 17 in the Willkie Auditorium. Seating begins at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 and $7 for seniors and students with a valid ID; they may be purchased at the door at 5 p.m. the evening of the performance.