Spring season to open against Taylor

The IU baseball team opens up its season 2 p.m. today with a doubleheader against Taylor University at Sembower Field. The Hoosiers look to improve their 24-31-1 record of a year ago, which was Coach Bob Morgan's first losing season in 18 seasons at IU. \n"We want to improve our play this season," Morgan said. "Last year we had a disappointing season. We had some injuries, and overall we just didn't play that well."\nMorgan said the unusually warm winter weather helped the Hoosiers prepare for the season.\n"The weather's been unbelievable," Morgan said. "It has been a real bonus to get outside this early in the season. We've never been outside in January until this year. Sometimes we never get out until our first game."\nThe Taylor game was originally scheduled for mid-March. The game was moved up to take advantage of the weather, and it was changed to a doubleheader.\n"We're ready to play somebody else other than ourselves," Morgan said.\nOn the field, the Hoosiers expect to be improved on defense.\n"Last year I don't think we were very good defensively," Morgan said. "I think we've improved this year. Infield is a strength for us."\nThe infield will include junior third baseman Vasili Spanos, who led the Hoosiers with 11 home runs last year. He is joined by senior first baseman Gibran Hamdan and senior shortstop Eric Blakeley, who will be providing leadership, defense and hitting for IU.\n"Team confidence is key, and this begins with good leadership," Blakeley said. "We hope to compete for the conference championship. Offensively, we've been hitting the ball well. Defensively, we are strong. We are looking for our pitching staff to come out and shut down some teams." \nReturning pitchers who are expected to make a big impact include junior Jacob Cary, who had a 4.40 ERA last season, senior Zach Otte, who was 3-2, and possible closer Ryan Smith, a 6-foot-6 junior.\nThe Hoosier outfield will include newcomer Kennard Jones, a junior transfer from Wallace State Community College in Alabama. He is expected to lead-off and provide good defense in center field. He will be joined by junior Mark Calkins, who was third on the team with 41 runs scored last year. \n"We have really good on-the-field chemistry this year, more than in the past," Calkins said. "We have a lot of depth at all positions, and we have a lot of team speed."\nAnd that speed and chemistry will finally be tested on an opponent today.