Personal bests set at weekend meet

Never underestimate the talent of the IU women's track and field team. The undefeated ladies dominated the competition by running away with the 2002 United States Track Coaches Association Collegiate Cup by 44 points. Without even racing the 4x400-meter relay, the Hoosiers scored 139 points, defeating three Big Ten schools.\nMichigan took second with 95 points, with a gap between itself and the host team, Penn State (68). They were followed by Pittsburgh (56), Central Michigan (54), Toronto (47), Kent State (45), West Virginia (36), Cornell (36), Buffalo (10), Michigan State (8) and Air Force (2).\nIU came away with victories in the 60-meter hurdles and the 60-, 200- and 400-meter dashes by sprinters Rachelle Boone, Danielle Carruthers and Tia Trent. For the first time in Carruthers' astonishing career, she broke eight seconds flat in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 7.92.\nBoone has now automatically qualified for two events for the NCAA -- the 60-meter hurdles, in which she is ranked first in the NCAA, and the 200-meter dash. Boone is impressed with her times thus far this year. \n"Last year I was running a lot slower than I am at this time," she said. "We have the Big Ten to look forward to now."\nThe Hoosiers ruled the long jump with indoor and outdoor champions Rose Richmond and Tandra Foster claiming the first two spots. Jennifer Cobbina came in third to emphasize the team's strength.\nKelley McKinney set a facility record in the 20-pound weight throw with a personal record of 19.27 meters. McKinney and Heather Coyler are both qualified for NCAA provisionals. \nIU's distance runners were also strong this weekend. Courtney Bell swept the 800-meter run while setting a personal record again at the Penn State Collegiate by four seconds, at 2:11. \nFreshman Mindy Peterson sprinted from seventh to second in the final seconds of the mile.\n"I really liked the track," Peterson said. "I had a good kick and I'm happy with my time. I have room to improve, though."\nHead Coach Randy Heisler is very proud of the team. Heisler is now emphasizing focus on the Big Ten.\n"We had a very productive weekend," he said. "We'll sit down this week and decide who will run in the Hoosier Hills. Everything was pointing towards this weekend, and everything this weekend went very well so some may not even compete."\nThe IU women's track and field team will compete next weekend back home at the Harry Gladstein Fieldhouse as it plays host to the Hoosier Hills Open.