'Little Women' makes local debut

This weekend will mark the collegiate debut of a new spin on a classic work of American literature. Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women" will be performed on stage at the Musical Arts Center in an opera production composed by Mark Adamo.\nThe opera has been leaving raving critics in its wake since it first opened in Houston in 1998, although it was the composer's first operatic production. Adamo said when the idea of turning "Little Women" into an opera was first presented to him, he thought it would be "death on stage." But upon immersing himself in the book he began to get a sense that it was about something truly compelling.\nJanice Hammond, a doctoral student in voice, will be playing the role of Alma March. She said she is very excited to be part of such a new production.\n"It's a very endearing story familiar to a lot of people and an American classic," Hammond said. "It's got so much to offer."\nThe original story examines the lives of the March sisters as they grow and mature in the time of the American Civil War. Since its publication, there have been three movie productions and several plays written from the tale. But unlike many other treatments, this weekend's production will not focus on Jo's romances. Rather, it will show her as a girl on the verge of womanhood, trying to keep her life and the people around her from changing.\nAdamo promises that although this story has traditionally been more popular with female audiences, the production is not aimed at any particular gender or age group. He said he hopes everyone can take something from it. \nAdamo found that, as a man' he could identify with Jo when her older sister announced her engagement. Like Jo, Adamo said he was hurt and bewildered by the realization that he was not the only loved one in his sister's life. He had to come to terms with life as an unstable and often surprising thing, but in doing so learned that family is forever, and the bond of love between siblings cannot be broken. The composer points to this incident as one of the guiding forces in his adaptation.\nSince this production is new, the IU Opera Theater has been working tirelessly to prepare sets, costumes and lighting themes in which to best present the show. Designer Robert O'Hearn researched numerous books on the civil war period as well as "Little Women" itself in its many adaptations in order to best stage the production. A miniature replica of the stage set sits on a workbench in his office, attesting to the amount of work and attention to detail that has been put into this production. Despite O'Hearn's difficult task, he has managed to catch a bit of the opera itself as it is rehearsed.\nHe describes it as "a romantic opera with a different look and different music." He said it is easily accessible even to people who are not familiar with opera and added that "it's very enjoyable and (everyone) should make an effort to see it."\nThe opera will be performed in English with English subtitles.\nMark Adamo will be in Bloomington today at 3:30 p.m. to present a master class in Ford-Crawford Hall. This event is free and open to the public.\nTickets are still available for the show at the Musical Arts Center Box Office. Performances will be held Feb. 2, 3, 8 and 9. \nExcept for a 3 p.m. matinee Sunday, Feb. 3, all shows will be at 8 p.m. Tickets are $18 for adults and $10 for students.\nOne hour before each show, an "informance" will be held for patrons interested in learning more about the opera. All ticket holders attending the opening night informance Feb. 2 will have the opportunity to meet the composer. After the first show, attendees may also join Mark Adamo and the cast for a curtain call at 10:15 p.m. in the MAC lobby.\nThe Indiana School of Music, T.I.S. Music Shop and The Crazy Horse are sponsoring an opera date package Saturday, Feb. 2. For reservations or more information about the Opera date packages, call 855-9846.