Football team receives 21 letters of intent

Despite late start, Dinardo lands numerous recruits

This signing day had a different feel. \nIn between vague comments about some of IU's 21 signees and more specific statements regarding IU's recruiting strategy, first-year coach Gerry DiNardo found an opportunity to display a sense of humor. \nSome of the highlights from Wednesday's signing-day news conference at Memorial Stadium:\n• After a brief description of quarterback Allen Webb's (Denver, Colo.) accomplishments and family background, DiNardo described his recruiting process: "He committed to Colorado, he was then involved with Kansas State and then saw our place, and saw the light."\n• When asked whether or not he had any knowledge of any recruits before he was hired Jan. 8, DiNardo said he had heard of quarterback Graeme McFarland from Birmingham and Webb before describing what he knew about punter Tyson Beattie from Australia: "I didn't know about Tyson from Australia; I had never recruited Australia before." \n• DiNardo, who is from Brooklyn, N.Y., said he heard of John Pannozzo because "it's my responsibility to know all Italians from Brooklyn."\nWhen DiNardo's attempt at a stand-up act ended, this much was clear: In less than a month, DiNardo and his staff managed to fill more than 80 percent of IU's 25 allotted scholarships.\nThe first letter of intent the Hoosiers received yesterday arrived at 7 a.m., when Beattie, via Australia, faxed his signature to the athletics department. During the following 10 hours, the Hoosiers received a steady stream of letters. \nAs much as DiNardo wanted to make up a story about Beattie's recruitment, he said he couldn't because Beattie committed to IU while Cam Cameron was still coach. \n"We watched tape of him, and he's got a good leg," DiNardo said.\nThe player who lives the second farthest from Bloomington is defensive tackle Russ Richardson (Phoenix, Ariz). Although he resides more than 1,700 miles from the IU campus, Richardson received a taste of IU yesterday morning when he signed his letter at the Hoosier Cafe in Phoenix. The restaurant, which is operated by a couple of IU alumni living in Arizona, is the Southwest's version of a Bloomington restaurant, where IU pictures hang on the walls.\nRichardson (6-foot-1, 265 pounds) selected IU over Air Force, Army, Navy, Princeton, Penn, Yale, Columbia and Wyoming. \n"IU stood out because it's in the Big Ten," said Richardson, who signed his letter in the restaurant as 35 friends and family members watched. "I got overlooked a lot because I'm just 6-1, and teams want defensive linemen who are 6-4 or 6-5. I can play. I'm glad to get a chance to play in the Big Ten."\nIU's class consists of players from 12 states, but just two from Indiana -- defensive tackle Bo Greer (Princeton) and defensive end Justin Frye (Elwood). DiNardo, who has placed an emphasis on strengthening the football program's reputation in the state, said the number of recruits from Indiana will increase.\n"A year from today, we'll have more than two Indiana guys in our signing class," DiNardo said.\nThe state IU snagged the most recruits from was Ohio, a state that produced more than 35 Big Ten signees this year. IU's Buckeye state signees include running back Sean Miller, linebacker John Kerr, wide receiver Steve Gunter and offensive lineman Adam Hines. Miller, Gunter and Hines all committed before DiNardo was hired, but Kerr didn't select IU until this past weekend.\nBesides impacting IU's ability to recruit the top in-state prospects, DiNardo said the late start affected the Hoosiers ability to recruit by position.\n"Ordinarily, we'll be a little more position-specific in a recruiting class, but, getting a late start, we felt the best strategy was to get the best available," DiNardo said. "You hear the term a lot in the NFL Draft, and you hear it some in recruiting. That was our strategy."\nThe position IU appears to have done the best job recruiting is quarterback. Besides Webb, who helped Chatfield High School claim the Colorado 5A championship last season, McFarland and Jehron Fields (Chicago), had solid 2001 campaigns as quarterbacks. Webb and McFarland had originally committed to Big 12 schools, but changed their minds as signing day approached. \nWebb verbally committed to Colorado, while McFarland committed to Kansas. McFarland changed his mind after coach Terry Allen was fired in November. \nMcFarland said he wasn't contacted by IU until two weekends ago. \n"Signing the letter was a big relief for me," McFarland said. "This whole process has been hectic. I'm glad it's over with, and I feel like I made the right choice."\nFor DiNardo and his staff, the process has been equally hectic.