Badger comes home

Wills leads Wisconsin to upset win

Coming home isn't a big deal anymore for Charlie Wills. \nWills, an Angola, Ind. native, came back to the Hoosier state Wednesday, content with the thought that coming home again isn't important. \nYou couldn't tell.\nWills, a fifth-year senior, lit up IU for a game-high 17 points Saturday as Wisconsin upset No. 22 IU 64-63 in Assembly Hall.\n"Now that he's in his fifth year, he tempers it pretty well," Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan said. "I didn't think about it."\nWills is good at playing king killer. \nHe scored 21 points in the Badgers' 94-92 overtime edging of then-Big Ten leader Ohio State Feb. 6. He hit all five of his first-half field goals (two of which were three pointers), then hit two of four in the second half. His seven field goals were a career high. \nAnd all of that after the Badgers took a midday trip to College Mall instead of having a shoot-around in Assembly Hall. \n"I didn't let anybody in the gym," Ryan said. "We just went to the mall and hung out."\nIt wasn't the first time Wills ended a team's home-court winning streak. Wills scored 17 when the Badgers stopped Michigan State's 53-game Breslin Center winning streak, a game that ended in the exact score -- 64-63 -- as Wednesday's upset of IU. \nWills played for IU coach Mike Davis on this summer's Big Ten touring team in Europe, and Davis wasn't surprised by Wills' performance. \n"The worst thing I probably did was give him a hug before the game," Davis joked.

Touch tarnished\nLast season, IU shot 70 percent from the field in an 85-55 shellacking of Wisconsin. The Hoosiers hit 14 three pointers and scored 50 second-half points.\nThat all came crashing down Wednesday.\nIU shot 49 percent from the field, but managed just five three pointers in 16 tries. \nThe final miss, a Tom Coverdale three from the left wing, ended IU's shot at a last-second victory with a thump off the backboard and a slip from the rim. \nLast season, Coverdale went 6 of 7 from three-point land, but hit only 3 of 8 Wednesday. Junior Kyle Hornsby drained 5 of 6 last season, but missed all four of his tries Wednesday. \nStill, IU blamed the loss on a lack of defense, and not a stagnant offense. \n"Offense wasn't the problem," freshman guard Donald Perry said. "In the second half, we got the offense going. The problem was the defense."\nWisconsin shot 48 percent for the game and 59 percent in the first half, compared to 40 percent last season.