A night at the movies

IU Sing to culminate in competition's 70th anniversary

IU Sing's 70th annual competition debuts Friday night when "IU Sing 2002: A Night at the Movies" opens at 7:30 p.m. Each year 2,000 to 3,000 students take part in this event and devote months of practice to entertainment and competition. \nRun by the IU Student Foundation, IU Sing donates all proceeds to scholarships for students putting themselves through school. This year's performance is a landmark in IU Sing's history, as it will yield the millionth dollar committed to scholarships.\nIU Sing began in the 1920s as a final send-off for graduating seniors when Hoagy Carmichael led "Showdown," the first theatrical competition at IU. This evolved into "University Sing," produced in 1928 by Professor George E. Schlafer, who is now considered the father of IU Sing. \nThe first official IU Sing was sponsored by the YMCA and unveiled on the steps of the Student Building in 1932. The production continued to develop and in 1979, the IU Student Foundation took responsibility for IU Sing. It was then that IU Sing began generating scholarships for financially independent students.\nMegan Quigley, IU sing advisor, participated in the event with Chi Omega in 1997. She praised the opportunities that IU Sing provides to students for leadership, involvement and philanthropy.\n"With tradition comes a great deal of IU spirit and energy that we love to harness. IU Sing leans sights towards a philanthropic edge -- a fundamental thrill of being an American," Quigley said. "(IU Sing) gives and gives and gives all around. People can become leaders, get to know each other and thrive as students of higher education."\nEach year a theme for the event is chosen by the Steering Committee, who selected "A Night at the Movies" to be 2002's dramatic inspiration. This year's performance aims to extensively incorporate the theme into everything that has to do with the show. The awards ceremony this year, named the "Hoagies" after Carmichael, will further Hollywood influence in the show and compare to the Emmy's or the Grammy's respectively.\nSenior Marisa Lamkin is a member of IU Sing's Judges and Awards Committee and has never been involved with IU Sing before this year.\n"Being involved in the process is amazing and so much fun," Lamkin said. "New people bring fresh minds and new ideas."\nLamkin is just one of many participants behind the scenes who have not been involved with the event before. Ample opportunities for leadership and involvement are available for students not involved in greek life, residence halls or organizations -- all of whom participate directly in the IU Sing performance.\nAwards are given for a large number of technical and entertaining aspects in the show in categories including vocal, music, choreography and overall effect. The overall trophy, awarded to the winning act, was earned by Delta Gamma and Kappa Sigma in 2001. Excellence awards include the "George E. Schlafer Award" that commemorates IU Sing's founding father. It is awarded to the act that best represents the spirit of IU Sing. The IU Auditorium presents the "That's Entertainment Award" to the act it recognizes as the most entertaining.\nSophomore Beth Tonk, a member of the Gamma Phi Beta pledge class, is involved in the performance aspect of IU Sing and speaks for many as she reflects on her role in the event.\n"I think it's great that I can be involved in an effort that serves two purposes -- helping to provide scholarships and continuing tradition," she said. "Everyone involved has worked extremely hard and put in a great deal of effort, especially our song leaders"