A great movie, but a poor DVD

Ghost World - R\nStarring: Thora Birch, Steve Buscemi\nDirected by: Terry Zwigoff\nAs DVDs go, there is nothing spectacular about the one for the film "Ghost World." With outstanding DVDs such as "Almost Famous," "Fight Club" and "Seven," as well as DVD box sets like "The Godfather Trilogy," the bar has been raised significantly. DVDs like "Ghost World" that only feature deleted scenes, trailers and a "making the film" are run-of-the-mill. The only reason to buy the DVD is for the film itself.\n"Ghost World" is the story of two disillusioned girls during the summer after their senior year in high school, and how they slowly split apart. It is not a movie with any special effects or action sequences, so the improved sound and picture that a DVD provides is basically inconsequential. There are only four deleted scenes, and they are pretty short, and you can tell right away why they were deleted. The trailers are standard, and there is a music video of sorts, but nothing mind-blowing. Unlike many other DVDs, "Ghost World" has no audio commentary tracks by the director or actors. There is, however, a making-of-Ghost World featurette, which is the best additional part of the DVD. It has interviews with director Terry Zwigoff, writer Daniel Clowes and stars Thora Birch, Scarlett Johansson, Steve Buscemi and Brad Renfro.\nEven though the features are kind of weak, the film stands by itself, and makes the movie well worth owning based on its merit alone. It is the second best film of last year. It is smart, funny, sad and most importantly, honest. Steve Buscemi has built a career around portraying odd, quirky characters, and the role of the pseudo-pathetic, record-collecting Seymour is right up there with some of his best work. It's not as far out as Mr. Pink from "Reservoir Dogs" or Carl Showalter from "Fargo," but it is overall the strongest performance of his career. Buscemi's performance is deserving of an Oscar nomination, and for this reason alone, the DVD is well worth a look, if not a purchase.\n

\n\n