Jeffries adjusting to being 'the man'

Jared Jeffries was having a hard time adjusting to being IU's go-to guy. \nCoach Mike Davis said it, and Jeffries admitted it. \nThat was before last week. \nThe 6-foot-9 sophomore forward torched Michigan State and Iowa, leading the Hoosiers to back-to-back victories over ranked opponents and carrying them to the top spot in the Big Ten. His efforts earned him Big Ten Player of the Week honors, the conference announced this week. \nIt is Jeffries' second Player of the Week award this season -- his other came Dec. 10, 2001 -- and the second of his career. \n"The coaches have been working really hard with me, and everything is coming together," Jeffries said. \nAgainst then-No. 25 Michigan State Jan. 8, Jeffries came within striking distance of the first Hoosier triple-double since 1971 when he scored 21 points, pulled down eight rebounds, recorded seven assists and blocked six shots to lead IU to an 83-65 win.\nSteve Downing had IU's last triple-double when he collected 28 points, 17 rebounds and 10 blocks against Michigan in February 1971. \nJeffries followed his MSU explosion with another remarkable performance at Iowa Sunday. His game-high 26 points and seven rebounds led IU to a 77-66 victory over the then-No. 13 Hawkeyes. \n"Jeffries played like an All-American," Iowa coach Steve Alford said in the wake of Jeffries impressive performance. "He was a load today."\nDuring the week, Jeffries shot 61 percent from the floor. He has now led IU (11-5, 4-0 Big Ten) in scoring eight times this season and in five of the last six contests. He is now averaging 17.1 points and 7.1 rebounds per game; both rank him in the top five in the Big Ten.\nDavis, IU's second-year head coach, is already mentioning Jeffries as a Big Ten Player of the Year candidate. \n"He's the guy that's making this team go from the standpoint of creating opportunities for our guards," Davis said this week. "If Jared Jeffries continues to play the way he's playing he can be the Big Ten Player of the Year. He's playing outstanding right now."\nBack in the top 25 … halfway\nAfter dropping out of both the The Associated Press and ESPN/USA Today Coaches top 25 polls after losing to Miami (Fla.) Dec. 15, IU made a return to the top 25 this week. The Hoosiers are ranked No. 25 in the AP poll, but got just seven votes in the ESPN/USA Today poll. \nOhio State, which IU plays Saturday, is ranked 26th in the AP poll. Only three Big Ten teams are ranked: No. 11 Illinois, No. 17 Iowa and No. 25 IU. \nIU topped out at No. 20 in the Nov. 19 AP poll after winning the season-opener at Charlotte and got back in the top 25 by beating up top-25 teams Michigan State and Iowa. \nThree teams IU has played this season -- Kentucky, Iowa and Miami -- are currently ranked. Butler, Ball State, Marquette and Texas, all of which IU played this season, have been ranked at one time.\nIU's Ratings Percentage Index ranking is No. 18 and its strength of schedule is second in the nation. Illinois (No. 9) and Ohio State (No. 13) are the only Big Ten schools with higher RPI ratings than the Hoosiers.\nDown and out?\nAfter dropping its game to IU Sunday, Iowa had just 48 hours to prepare for Illinois Tuesday. \nIt showed. \nNo. 11 Illinois (14-4, 3-2) put four players in double figures and used a second-half spurt to upend No. 17 Iowa 77-66.\n"It's a game I think both schools had circled on their calendars," Illinois coach Bill Self said.\nThe two schools don't meet again on the regular season schedule until next season.\nThe loss leaves Iowa (13-6, 2-3) three games behind conference leaders IU and Ohio State. The Hawkeyes still have trips to No. 25 IU, Wisconsin and Michigan State and home games with Ohio State and Minnesota, both of which are playing well. Iowa has now lost three of its last four. \nIllinois held Luke Recker to 16 points, and kept Reggie Evans, who Self called one of the "nastiest" players in the league, from being a factor. Evans, who scored just seven points against IU, had 12 Tuesday but was limited to a season-low six rebounds. \nIllinois will have its chance to catch the Big Ten leaders, thanks to two match-ups with IU and a trip to Ohio State. The Fighting Illini play at IU Jan. 26 and follow that game with a visit to Columbus, Ohio, to meet the Buckeyes Jan. 29.