Spartans rivalry provides chance for revenge

Players optimistic about recent changes despite injury trouble

It might not be the best team the Hoosiers have faced this year, and when the 2001-02 hockey season is said and done with, it certainly wouldn't have been the most important game the Hoosiers played this year. But rest assured, there are more than a few IU players who have Saturday night's match against Michigan State at the Frank Southern Center circled on their calendar. \n"If you can't get up for this one, you need to have your head examined," said assistant coach and general manager Alex Kyrias.\nIU and the Spartans have met in the ACHA National Championships each of the last five years, and the result has become a heated rivalry between the two teams that should be in full effect tomorrow night.\n"There's a lot of bad blood there," said senior Adam Federman. "There's eight of us seniors that have really been affected by Michigan State. We're looking forward to taking them out."\nThe last time these teams met was in the 2001 National Championships, where the squads finished in an intense 1-1 tie. But the Hoosiers needed a win to advance to the next round, and the Spartans were able to move on despite the deadlocked score.\n"We've got a long history with Michigan State," said coach Rich Holdeman. "They really took it to us last year."\nAlthough Saturday night's matchup holds particular significance for most of the white and red, they can't be looking too far ahead as they may have an even more difficult task Friday night. Ferris State comes into town after splitting last weekend with the Spartans.\nThis will be the first game between IU and an inter-conference opponent as the Great Midwestern Hockey League opens its inaugural season. The Hoosiers are looking to bounce back from a rough weekend in which they got swept by national champions Life University. Ferris State took Life to overtime in the national semifinals last year.\n"If we're still feeling sorry for ourselves about last weekend we will get buried this weekend," said Holdeman. "I'm hoping we'll be able to refocus and realize we have a job to do."\nThe good news for the Hoosiers is the recent use of their power play, which finally seems to have developed chemistry and accounted for all four Hoosier goals last Friday night. \n"We changed a few things around. It's looking good. We were moving the puck around well. We finally have a group out there that knows where everyone else is going to be," said senior and power play forward Bryan Grant. "We might not have scored Saturday night but we're getting chances out there."\nThe bad news remains the Hoosier injury troubles. Freshman defenseman Jamie Dillon is doubtful after possibly fracturing his hand against Life, while sophomore grinder David Dassell also could miss action with a pulled muscle in his back. \nThe puck will be dropped at the Frank on South Henderson against Ferris State 7:30 p.m. today and again at the same time against the Spartans tomorrow.