'Precarious Moments' turns 'junk' into artwork

SoFA Gallery exhibit offers 'springboard' for audience imagination, interpretation

Associate Professor Tim Mather bestows aesthetic beauty upon abstract "stuff," as he calls it -- objects common in our daily lives, sometimes referred to as "junk." In the School of Fine Arts Gallery, Mather's exhibition "Precarious Moments" will let visitors look at that "junk" in a new light.\nThe exhibit's title is a take-off on the popular ceramics line "Precious Moments." \nUsing "stuff" ranging from pepper shakers to plastic dinosaurs, Mather illustrates his "broad, interesting, grand idea of beauty," said Ben Pond, SoFA Gallery director.\n"His art is an investigation of this single idea -- it has an organic asymmetry." \nEach piece leads to the next as they are constructed in a certain way to hold interest.\nPond said Mather's work is inspired by "an influence on aesthetics."\n"Meaning is something he sort of discovers. \nHe has an interest and excitement in the fine line of what the objects existed as before and in trying to transform them into something else," Pond said. \nMather constructs his sculptures using parts derived from slip castings made from the objects that he finds in order to "provoke a consideration of the extended possibilities of meaning and metaphor found in the stuff that surrounds us daily," according to the gallery's Web site. \nMather puts common objects in situations that cause different meanings to each spectator. He said his series serves as "springboards for everyone's imagination… therefore creating your own scenario and speculating."\nThough "Precarious Moments" is a divergence from Mather's previous work, his influences, which include the chimera, Chinese tomb figures, Surrealism and "yet-to-be-created myths," remain virtually the same. \nHe defines his sculpture in the current exhibition as "Mechanochimerestic" work, which combines mechanical impression with the chimera, a composite animal often referred to in myths.\n"Some building or particular action always causes speculation," Mather said. "What caused this? What's happening? What will the aftermath be? It's a kind of a wild, free association."\nMather has his own ideas about the meaning behind his art, but emphasizes the importance of every individual's opinions and speculation. He said he hopes his sculpture will get people to think, to create their own myths. \nHe said his favorite piece changes daily.\n"I'll go in (the gallery) and look today, and change my mind," he said.\nThere is a projection of common objects in Mather's work, assisted and defined by his choice of colors. While the majority of his sculpture assumes the characteristic white of cast plaster, Mather adds random and bold splashes of color to appendages, which creates a subtle but inquisitive life in the exhibition.\nHe relates his choice of the color white to the white marble sculptures of Roman and Greek antiquity. But there are some striking differences, Mather said.\n"Instead of depicting a heroic figure… it's Duck Boy or Tyrannosaurus Rex," Mather said. \nPond said Mather was allowed to "create the space" in which his work is being displayed. Pond said that is commendable in the quality of the work. Pond said he doubted that there is much intention in Mather's choice of layout, but noted that there is a balance and even flow to the display.\nUltimately, Mather said he hopes people will stop in and enjoy the art.\n"We're all so busy that we never really have time to look at what's around us. There are things that are beautiful out there that we miss," Mather said.