world

Nuclear statement questioned

Bin Laden speculated to possess biological warfare

WASHINGTON -- Osama bin Laden likely has some chemical or biological weapons, and U.S. forces have bombed some sites in Afghanistan that could have been involved in producing them, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Sunday. \nRumsfeld and other top Bush administration officials said they doubt bin Laden's al-Qaeda network has a nuclear weapon, as bin Laden told a Pakistani journalist in a recent interview. \n"I think it's unlikely that they have a nuclear weapon, but on the other hand, with the determination they have, they may very well," Rumsfeld said on CBS' "Face the Nation." \nThe defense secretary and other officials said they were worried, however, that al-Qaeda network could have weapons of mass destruction that possibly include radiological weapons — mixtures of conventional explosives and nuclear material designed to spread radiation without a nuclear detonation. \n"We have every intelligence operation practically in the world on the problem of al-Qaeda and the Taliban and their weapons of mass destruction at this point," the president's national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, said on ABC's "This Week." \nThe United States has identified several sites in Afghanistan where al-Qaeda may have been producing weapons of mass destruction, Rumsfeld said. Some of them have been bombed, some of have not and others have not been found, he said. \n"If we had good information on a chemical or biological development area, we would do something about it," Rumsfeld said on CBS. "It is not an easy thing to do. We have every desire in the world to prevent the terrorists from using these capabilities"