world

Cincinnati police kill black man

CINCINNATI -- Police killed a black man Wednesday in the second such shooting since rioting erupted in April over another black man's death. \nFour officers, both black and white, were checking out a report of a gunman involved in an apparent robbery at a bus stop north of downtown and shot the suspect during a chase, authorities said. \nPolice did not know the man's identity Wednesday. \nIt was not immediately clear which officer or officers fired the two shots that hit the suspect in the chest and foot, Police Chief Thomas Streicher said. They had been chasing him for about a half-mile. \nThe four officers will be interviewed and placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure. \nOne police officer has said he was also shot at during the chase but Streicher could not immediately confirm this Wednesday. He said a handgun was recovered at the scene. \nRacial tensions have been high in Cincinnati since a white officer shot and killed an unarmed black man in April. Three nights of rioting followed until a citywide curfew helped restore order. The officer was acquitted of two misdemeanor charges. \nThere was no unrest after a white officer killed a black man in July; authorities and police critics alike called that shooting justified. \nAt least 40 people witnessed either Wednesday's robbery attempt or police chase. \nBus driver Jack Ostrander said he called 911 after seeing a man with his hands in the air at a bus stop. Ostrander told The Cincinnati Post the man lunged at the bus to try to get aboard. The gunman tackled the man, and they scuffled outside the bus, Ostrander said. \nStreicher said police were trying to reconstruct what happened. \n"It sounds like there were at least three, possibly four confrontations with the suspect," he said.