world

Arab League warns U.S.

AMMAN, Jordan -- Jordan and the Arab League appealed to the United States not to attack Iraq, saying Wednesday that such a strike would have dangerous consequences. \nJordan "rejects the use of force, external interference in Iraq's affairs and meddling with its integrity," said Saleh Qallab, a government spokesman and a minister of state. \nPresident Bush warned Iraqi President Saddam Hussein on Monday to allow U.N. weapons inspectors back into the country "to prove to the world he's not developing weapons of mass destruction." \nAsked what would happen if Saddam refused, Bush replied: "He'll find out." \nIn Cairo, the secretary general of the Arab League, Amr Moussa, reiterated Wednesday that any attack on an Arab country would have "dangerous repercussions" and would affect the political climate in the region. \n"Arab public opinion is completely outraged because of what is happening in the occupied territories, " Moussa said, referring to the 14 months of Israeli-Palestinian fighting. \n"If a country like the United States were to conduct any decisive and final diplomatic effort, it should be directed at (Israeli Prime Minister Ariel) Sharon," Moussa said. \nIn Jordan, Qallab said in a statement to the official Petra news agency that: "Any military action will only lead to deterioration, depression, frustration and negative consequences that are extremely dangerous and would surpass the borders of the region."\nAs with other Arabs states, Jordan advocates dialogue between Iraq and the United Nations to resolve outstanding issues, Qallab said. \nJordan also wants to see an end to U.N. sanctions imposed on Baghdad following its 1990 invasion of Kuwait, Qallab said. \nThe sanctions can only be lifted if U.N. inspectors determine that Iraq's nuclear, biological and chemical weapons programs and long-range missiles have been dismantled. Inspectors left Iraq ahead of U.S.-British airstrikes in December 1998, and Iraq has barred them from returning. \nIraq is the largest Arab importer of Jordanian food and medicine, bought under an exemption from U.N. sanctions. Jordan depends on Iraq for all its fuel. \nIn Sofia, Bulgaria, French Defense Minister Alain Richard said he saw no reason for the international military campaign against terrorism to move beyond Afghanistan for the time being. \nRichard said France would back military action if there were compelling evidence that a nation was supporting al Qaeda, Osama bin Laden's terrorist organization. Bin Laden is the No. 1 suspect in the Sept. 11 terror attacks.