Rocking out into middle age

Down to Earth Ozzy Osbourne Epic Records

Osbourne's 13th album, Down to Earth, finds the legend returning to a harder straightforward style of rock on tracks like "Facing Hell," which could stand up against any of Osbourne's previous work. Unlike 1995's Ozzmosis, this album stays away from the ambient guitar sound in favor of a straightforward rock approach. Osbourne does tame the mix with a couple of ballads, but hey, the man is in his 50s.\nDown to Earth finds Osbourne teamed with a new team of co-writers, which is evident in the song structures that are much more vocal-driven, with an orchestrated feel. "Dreamer" sounds very similar to John Lennon's "Imagine", complete with a delicate piano line over which Osbourne says, "It would be nice if we could find serenity/ It would be nice if we could live as one," showing the madman's more compassionate side. Osbourne again visits the Beatles-esque sound on the acoustic "You know...," a song he wrote as a message to his children.\nThe lyrics to the album's first single "Gets Me Through" were written as a tribute to his fans, but unfortunately it never picks up musically, with a repetitive and sludgy beat making it a poor choice to open the album.\nGuitarist Zakk Wylde, who has recently reunited with Osbourne after a six-year absence, provides solid work on the fret board. Wylde's playing seems controlled and planned, as his solos complement the music rather than taking it over. Still, Wylde's virtuosity is able to reach its peak form in a few key moments, such as his diverse solo in "Junkie," which seems to combine every guitar style. \nOsbourne's vocal recordings haven't seemed to falter with age as he blends layered melodies on tracks such as "Black Illusion" and "Running Out of Time," while lyrically the album finds the aging godfather of metal reminiscing on his life. Struggles with health after years of drug abuse are apparent in "Can You Hear Them?" and interesting enough, the song "Junkie" actually finds Osbourne criticizing the lifestyle he once led.\nDown to Earth likely won't earn Osbourne many new listeners, but with new classics such as "Facing Hell," "Dreamer" and "Running Out of Time," old fans should be satisfied until Ozzy returns in the flesh for his Night of Merry Mayhem tour with Rob Zombie this fall.\nRating: 7